Lower Fat Flan

Joined Oct 6, 2001
Guests are always asking for special requests, found this recipe for a reduced fat/cholesterol flan. Subbing for cream and whole eggs turned out pretty well.

Flan with Strawberry Mint Salsa

1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup egg sustitute (or 3 eggs)
1 tsp. lemon zest
1 1/2 cup whole milk (2% is ok, whole is much better...)
1 tsp. vanilla

1 cup strawberries, large dice
1 1/2 tsp. lime juice
toasted slivered almonds

Carmelize 1/4 cup sugar. Divide among 4 custard cups. Combine egg substitute, lemon rind, a pinch of salt, lightly whip together. Add 1/4 cup sugar. Mix well. Scald milk and gradually add to egg mixture, taking care not to scramble the mix. Stir in vanilla. Pour in to custard cups. Cover with foil and place in a water bath. Pake at 325 degrees 45-50 minutes, until set. Remove from oven and chill.

Combine strawberries, mint and lime. Chill.

Turn flan out on to dessert plate. Garnish with strawberries and slivered almonds.

Joined Jan 1, 2001
Hi Lynne,
I have also had success with subbing in fat-free evaporated milk. You get a very creamy texture without the fat. I also stir in about 1 tsp. cornstarch to help hold the flan together as per Shirley Corriher (Cookwise). Encorporating a little starch with the low-fat dairy products keeps them from curdling during the cooking process.

Joined Apr 24, 2001
Does the flan get hot enough to cook the starch? Can you feel any of it on your tongue in the finished product?

Joined Jun 9, 2001
my suggestion rather then cornstarch would be to add a little arrowroot. arrowrot costs a little more but it doesnt leave that after taste that the cornstarch has

Top Bottom