Low Carb dessert recipe

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by mezzaluna, Mar 8, 2001.

1. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Lynne was searching for low carb recipes for a B&B client. I have made and enjoyed this delicious pie, and think your clients will like it, too. I give oodles of credit to our newest cafe member, Molly, for this wonderful recipe she posted on a low carb site. It calls for Splenda as a sweetener; it may seem like an awful lot, but it also gives body to the mixtures. Splenda is the brand name for sucralose, a sugar product that is approved for use by diabetics and others restricting sugar. Unlike aspartame, it stands up to heat! It is packaged in a pourable, bulk package and also in packets, and is found in the grocery store alongside Equal.

Molly's Lemon Angel Pie

Meringue shell:
    4 egg whites
    1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
    5 Tbsp. Splenda

Filling:
    4 egg yolks
    3 tablespoons lemon juice
    1 tsp. grated lemon zest
    1 cup + 3 packets Splenda
    1 pint heavy whipping cream

Prehaet oven to 275F. Greast one 9" glass pie plate and set aside.

Beat egg whites until foamy. Add ceram of tartar; beat until the whites stand in peaks. Add Splenda and beat for an additional minute or two. Spread the meringue evenly in the bottom of the pie plate and up its sides. Bake 1 hour and 10 minutes in a 275F oven, then raise the temperature to 300F and bake for an additional 20 minutes**. Remove from the oven and cool while you make the filling.

Beat the egg yolks well. Add 1 cup Splenda, juice and lemon zest. Cook in couble boiler until thickened. Cool thoroughly.

Whip the cream, sweetened with 3 packets Splenda. Gently fold cooled lemon micutre into whipped cream and spoon into cooled meringue shell.

Chill thoroughly and serve. Enjoy! (1/8 pie = 5 carbohydrate grams)

**My oven seems a bit hot, so 20 minutes for the shell caused it to be a bit over-browned. I also found that this kept pretty well to the next day without the crust becoming overly wet- although it did lose its crispness and become a tad chewy.

[ March 07, 2001: Message edited by: Mezzaluna ]

2. lynne

lynne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Sounds good Mezzaluna!

I don't know as much about Splenda as I should; NP, do you know if this is one of those potential triggers?

lynne

3. lynne

lynne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Thanks Crudeau,

You would think that as much as I use the net, I would have checked there -- but I never think to check ingredients that way! Checked at the grocery store yesterday, but neither of the 2 by me carry it!

4. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Crudeau, I'd never heard that maltodextrin contains MSG. Where did you hear that?

5. lynne

lynne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Mezz,

I did some checking too there are many lists of "hidden msg" products, including maltodextrin. Here is just one:
    http://www.thelighthousepress.com/msglist.htm

But I will say that while I was checking, I did run across Maltrin brand maltodextrin claims to have no MSG -- http://www.grainprocessing.com/food/malinfo.html

To find out for sure, I have emailed the customer service folks at Splenda to see if they have any info. I will keep y'all informed!

lynne