LOTR: Fellowship of the Ring- Thumbs up?

Discussion in 'The Late Night Cafe (off-topic)' started by mezzaluna, Dec 22, 2001.

1. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Last night, after a 33 year wait, I saw the first of the Tolkien trilogy movies, Fellowship of the Ring. I'd say it was 95% worth the wait. For us purists, it was a bit perturbing to have some beloved parts missing (Tom Bombadil was absent) and others shuffled around (Arwen instead of Glorfindel helps rescue Frodo a the ford), but hey: it was pretty darn good.

Only one year to go before The Two Towers is out! :bounce: :bounce:

2. thebighat

thebighat

Rats, No Tom Bombadil. It would have been the part of Steve Martin's career. Oh, and Bernadette Peters would have been Fabulous as Goldberry.

3. athenaeus

athenaeus

Exp:
    At home cook
    I saw the film also , yesterday afternoon but I didn't want to stop the intersting discussion in another thread that's why I didn't mention anything.

I was in a terribly good mood so it would be very difficult for anyone and anything to change that so maybe I was a bit influenced by my mood and I liked it.

I agree with Mezz. The film was good, very good.

I will not fall in the trap to compare it with the feelings that the book creates but I can assure that it worth to see it.

My thumb ? Certainly up

:)

4. risa

risa

Thumbs up for me also. I did miss the parts they skipped over, but I like some of the added parts. I thought the movie captured the spirit of the book very well although it can certainly stand on its own. The orcs, Gollum and other yucky creatures did scare me. My imagination doesn't extend very far into ugly and scary and I never envisioned these creatures to be so gruesome. On the other hand, Rivendell and Lothlorien(?) were just as if not more beautiful than I imagined. I was sorry to see the movie end even after nearly 3 hours. I went home and started re-reading Volume II of the trilogy to keep the momentum rolling. I haven't had much sleep since Friday because I've been so involved in the book in addition to trying to get all my Christmas cooking and baking done. I went grocery shopping at 4 AM and had pastry and brioche doughs in the fridge by 8 AM!

P.S. I thought Ian McKellen's Gandalf was spot on. I was totally enthralled every time he was on screen. I'm also half in love with Legolas; so pretty (males aren't usually pretty but it applies this time) and can he handle that bow! I felt a bit like I was 13 again.

5. marmalady

marmalady

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    I am a - well - hobbit; short, a little ahem, stocky; love to live in tiny places, enjoy my food, love farming, and would much rather have people over than to go on adventures! First read Tolkein in the 60's and felt like i had found my people!

Saw the movie yesterday; when I saw the Shire, I actually teared up! the same with Gandalf, and Rivendell. Yeah, they left stuff out of the book - the movie would have been six hours instead of three had they put it all in! But the spirit of Tolkein lives in this movie.

I'd suggest to all who haven't seen it yet, just relax, and go for the ride of your lives! enough with all the analyzing and bellyaching and pulling it apart - the movie critics do enough of that! Just immerse yourself in the wonderful images, and the amazing story of the little hobbit that could!

Merry Christmas to all! Jackie

6. nicko

nicko Founder of Cheftalk.com Staff Member

Exp:
    Former Chef
    This is a fine attempt to adapt an amazingly detailed novel to a movie screen. When I read what some of the fans were getting upset about I felt their reaction was silly. You can always get caught up in the little details of a movie making epic such as this, but the acting was so amazing along with the sets that you just have to accept the limitations of the big screen.

I hope that when they release the DVD it has about an hour of extra footage. Maybe Jackson will release the Directors cut...

7. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I finally saw the movie, and I have to say (reluctantly) that I loved it!! They did not butcher the book as much as I thought that they would. The scenery was perfect, they couldn't have picked a better place than NZ to film. I thought that all the actors were perfect matches to their characters. Ian McKellan as Gandalf was great, though maybe just a bit more bumbling than I ever imagined Gandalf to be. Was glad to see that Arwren was not in as much of the movie as the trailers lead me to believe. Most all the changes that were made, I thought were relatively minor, in respects to the story. One thing that did bother me though. The movie seemed to imply that Gollem was always a twisted little creature. He was, in fact, a regular hobbit until he found the ring and it corrupted him. Overall, I thought Jackson did a great job bringing something that complex to life, and he really captured the feeling of the books.

8. thebighat

thebighat

I always thought Gollum/Smeagol was from a race that was a lot LIKE hobbits.

9. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I will have to double check that, but I thought that he was a hobbit.

10. peachcreek

peachcreek

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    My daughter liked the movie a lot.
    Anyhow the Smeagol question. Hobbits, otherwise know in Elvish as Periannath were divided into three "bands". They were Harfoots, Stoors, and Fallohides. The first written record of The Periannath in the records of Gondor was Third [email protected], with the migration of the Fallohides into Eriador. Smeagol/Gollum was a Stoor, born @Third Age 2440.

11. nicko

Exp:
    Former Chef
    That is absolutely correct, Gollum was a hobbit. I thought that the movie did an excellent job of portraying him.

12. april02

april02

---wow--- I had know Idea there was such a following for the lord of the rings. I just saw the movie last night with my boyfriend and I too was sad to see it end... having only read the hobbit in fifth grade on my own I really have no idea what is still to come... never fear though I decided to go out and buy the books so I don't have to wait for the next movie. Over all I loved it and can't wait to see/read what comes next... ---love--- april:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

13. athenaeus

athenaeus

Exp:
    At home cook
  14. risa

risa

Athenaeus,

Those are funny. I always wondered how many times people have to watch the movie to catch all those mistakes. I certainly will be watching the movie differently when I go to see it again. My younger brother has already seen the movie 3 times!

15. nicko

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Athenaeus,

There were too many, I got tire of reading them, but thanks. I will certainly try to look for some of those when I go to see it again. I would never want the task of making this movie. The Tolkien fanatics must be having a hay day.

16. athenaeus

athenaeus

Exp:
    At home cook
    :eek: Risa and Nicko
    So you will actually go to see it again??

I posted this for fun. I was listening to the radio and someone mentioned it and I checked. The speaker reffered to the person who wrote a comment about the sticker on the apple...

Don't you find that it's a bit unfair for a movie of this kind to stick on those details?

When you see it again tell us please, how was the second impression.

17. nicko

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Athenaeus,

Is it always that people rember more what was wrong rather than focusing on what was right. I will be the first to say that this movie is not the book (few movies are). But this is such a great story a good triumphing over evil that it was a long time before anyone had the guts to try and make it into a movie. It is a great attempt and it really helps to bring more people into the story of the LOTR who have never read the book. Mainly because they are wondering why all of us who have read the book are so excited. I look forward to see it again and can't wait to purchase it on DVD.

Incidentally the sticker on the apple doesn't bother me as much as the car in the background.

18. peachcreek

peachcreek

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    It was a good movie, as movies go. Would I see it again? Yes, when it comes out on DVD.
    To me the deal is that Hollywood wants to produce an "epic", when all Tolkien was doing writing his stories and inadvertantly created an epic...
    Just like Ozymandias, we still can't buy greatness.

19. athenaeus

athenaeus

Exp:
    At home cook
    Nicko someone told me that there is a whole serial of games for pc that they were based on LOTR. They have told me about the games but I don't remember the name.
    Have you heard about that?

But yeah I get your point, I guess you are right.

Of course I have some unknown words for the post that lays above mine but I am afraid to ask, I wouldn't want to change the subject :rolleyes:

20. risa

risa

Definitely going to see it again in the theatre which is very unusual for me. I rarely see any movie in the theatre, let alone at full price. I usually just wait for video. I'll probably go next week sometime. I still have to go to Harry Potter.