Looking to start my own Gourmet Food Shop - HELP!

Joined Aug 20, 2001
Hi Everyone,
I work as a freelance food stylist for mags and tv in NYC. I moved to upstate, NY a year ago and would really like to stop the commute to NYC and settle in my area with my own food shop. Can anyone give me a few hints on the best way to go about this? I've contacted several realtors and when I say food shop, they hear restaurant. I don't want a restaurant -- just a little gourmet take-out place.
What is the best way to go about finding a space? Realtors haven't been much help to me. Is there a website that any of you know of that would help with a ton of questions that I have? I live in the Hudson Valley in New York.
Many thanks.
Mo

Joined Jan 1, 2001
Hi Mo! Glad to have another food stylist aboard. What a great ambition you have! I've spent some years in the world of specialty foods and it can be a really fun business. The best place I have found to get fundamental info about this arena is the NASFT (National Association for the Specialty Food Trade) show which concluded in NYC last month. There are other shows on the west coast in Jan. or Feb. and Chicago (though smaller in scope) in the spring. The workshops are very informative. There is also a trade magazine which can be very helpful. Check out their website-www.nasft.com (maybe org.)

Joined Jan 1, 2001
Hi Mo! Glad to have another food stylist aboard. What a great ambition you have! I've spent some years in the world of specialty foods and it can be a really fun business. The best place I have found to get fundamental info about this arena is the NASFT (National Association for the Specialty Food Trade) show which concluded in NYC last month. There are other shows on the west coast in Jan. or Feb. and Chicago (though smaller in scope) in the spring. The workshops are very informative. There is also a trade magazine which can be very helpful. Check out their website-www.nasft.com (maybe org.)

Joined Aug 20, 2001
Hi,
Thanks so much for your reply. I will surely check it out.
So, you're a food stylist too? In NYC? Maybe I know you! Small world you know...
Mo

Joined Mar 4, 2000
Hi Mo,
Welcome to cheftalk :) .

Have you checked with the Culinary Institute?

Sometimes they have leads with that sort of thing.

Good luck, and please let us know how it goes.

Joined Oct 5, 2001
Dear Maureen:

You are embarking on such an exciting venture!

I would like to take this opportunity to recommend an industry publication that is full of good information and it is FREE! I consider it to be one of the very best publications in our industry.

GOURMET NEWS just celebrated its 10th anniversary. Its Editor, Joanne Friedrick, isdoing a great job and so does the whole team there. Their web site is at: www.gourmetnews.com and you can subscribe for free by calling them at: 215-788-7112

I hope that this is of assistance.

Good luck!

:)

Joined Aug 20, 2001
Thank you everyone for all your help! I'm so glad to have found this place! It's terrific.
Mo

Joined May 1, 2001
Where in the Hudson Valley are you? I know a fellow who brokers business properties in middle and lower Westchester. My wife used him some years ago when she was looking to buy a business, and he seemed to be a bit more responsive than the average real estate type.

Joined Aug 20, 2001
Thanks Kimmie for the welcome. I appreciate it very much.
Dave, I'm in Woodstock, NY which is Ulster County.
Thanks again everyone.
Mo

Top Bottom