Looking to get a new sausage stuffer

Discussion in 'Cooking Equipment Reviews' started by highlander01, Jun 19, 2011.

1. highlander01

highlander01

Exp:
    Other
  2. capsaicin

capsaicin

Exp:
    Home Cook
    lol when I read the title the 13 year old in me screamed: "That's what SHE said!" :D

I always made sausages with a funnel.  Good enough for grandma, good enough for me.  Sorry I can't be of more help.

3. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Do you need one with that capacity?

What are you using to grind as most grinders support a stuffing mechanism as well. Might be a sufficient and less expensive solution.

I have no experience to recommend beyond my Kitchen Aid attachments to the stand mixer.

4. highlander01

highlander01

Exp:
    Other
    It would be for home use and I have a 6qt Kitchen Aid mixer with grinder attachment.

If anyone has any suggestions for making sausages using casings I am more than willing to give them a try

5. phatch

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    there is a stuffer attachment too. for the KA. It can be done by one person but is best with two.  One to feed the ground meat, the other to manage the casing and how it gets filled. It seems a bit slow in some ways.

6. highlander01

highlander01

Exp:
    Other

I have actually looked at the stuffer attachment and from everything that I have heard and read it is extremely slow and to be honest from what I can tell it seems that it would be fairly wasteful.

7. phatch

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I haven't had a waste problem, but I'm usually only doing a few pounds at a time, 2-4 usually.

8. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    One trick I learned when making all kinds of wurst and sausage on a Hobart was make sure filling is ice cold, and even run crushed ice thru with it.  Heat from friction  of machine on meat is reduced, and water acts as a lubricant.