Looking to expand regional cuisine

Discussion in 'New User Introductions' started by Flatheadfoodie, Jan 18, 2018.

1. Flatheadfoodie

Flatheadfoodie

Exp:
    Kitchen manager/chef
    Hey I’m Ryan, I live and work in the Flathead valley in Montana. After culinary school i started working as a chef and am constantly looking for new menu ideas. I have the freedom of ordering and specials that a lot of chefs do not have. For the last year we’ve been doing where in the world specials once a week and I’d like some new prospects. We’ve done all the usual suspects Indian, Japanese, Mongolian, Cajun, oceanic, to name a few. I’m excited about regional cuisine but alas after 50+ weeks Im running out of ideas. I’d like to not have to run Irish specials as scotch eggs and reubens again even though a perfect scotch egg is dank.

2. sgmchef

sgmchef

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Hi Ryan, Now that it is winter, how about some eastern block specials w/local twist. Bison Perogies? Hungarian goulash, German Jager Schnitzel w/ Spaetzle, Norwegian Salmon stew, Food from the North, eh... Or head to the Caribbean. Do a week of South American Countries or give a tour of Central America. Every single country has something they consider unique or traditional. With on-line info, you could almost do a different nation every day.

When you think about America, Cajun covers people from the south but what about the other regions here in the states? Iowa Pork, New England cuisine, Pacific Northwest, Florida, etc. Do all fifty states!

Even in smaller countries like Germany, smaller than Montana, where folks from the north favors potatoes, south favors noodles and dumplings.

Do the five cantons in China.

Make some food passports for your customers to fill in.

Have you explored local Native American dishes?

drirene likes this.
  3. Flatheadfoodie

Flatheadfoodie

Exp:
    Kitchen manager/chef
    I like the idea of the food passports. Our restaurant does fine year round but it’s very seasonal. Our locals also aren’t the most food oriented peeps. When I run a burre Blanc I get to questions. For a while we were doing crisis countries which was fun but customers didn’t get the theme....

4. aliphares

aliphares

Exp:
    Home cook
    Middle eastern food? Especially Lebanese and Moroccan foods. Getting increasingly popular. A lot of heart stews and lamb recipes.

5. sonu vishwakarma

sonu vishwakarma

Exp:
    Hi Ryan ,
    I can see that you have already included Indian food in your Menu , But i guess those must be very mainstream or only famous dishes like Chicken Butter masala or Biryani or may be Idly/Dosa. I can suggest you some Indian regional cuisines (we call these as "Desi" food) which will surely attract crowd . I love experimenting with food and trying local dishes .

Thanks,
    Sonu