Looking for the best soup cook book!

Discussion in 'Cookbook Reviews' started by tubaguy63, Jan 5, 2004.

1. tubaguy63

tubaguy63

I am a huge soup lover! I not only love eating soup, but also making soups, as well, especially soups containing a lot of vegetables! So, I am looking for the definitive soup cook book.
    Any help is much appreciated!
    (I am also looking for a really thick, vegetarian split pea soup recipe, if anyone has one!)

Thanks,

Matt

2. bandregg

bandregg

The Wagamama cookbook from the restaurants in London is quite good. It's full of delicious Asian style soups and though they can be complicated for the home cook a little prep goes a long way.

3. tubaguy63

tubaguy63

any other suggestions?

4. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    James Peterson, Splendid Soups, ISBN 0-471-39136-0, (c) 2001, published by Wiley

Felipe Rojas-Lombardi, Soup, Beautiful Soup, ISBN 0-8050-1939-1 (paperback, 1992, Henry Holt). This one might be hard to find -- hardcover came out in 1985, published by Random House.

Although I have to say that I find the best soup is the sput-of-the-moment one: take some good stock (absolutely imperative!!), add some vegetables and/or protein (meat, fish, poultry, egg, cheese/cream) and/or starch, season and spice, and enjoy! I find it a great way to use up dribs and drabs of sauces, cooking water from vegs, etc.

5. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I never tasted a soup that wouldn't be improved by matzo balls. Okay, maybe fruit soup.... :p

Seriously, I have learned never to rush soup. It needs time to simmer and always improves the next day.

6. 32rueduvertbois

32rueduvertbois

Try The Whole World Loves Chicken Soup, by Mimi Sheraton. More than one hundred recipes from around the world. Fantastic.