Chef Forum banner

Looking for the best shoes for skin problems

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  chada 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,
Im struggling since more than a year with eczema on the top of my feet.

After a double shift in a 45°c kitchen my feet are so red and itchy its unbearable.
I always put bandages but I wear birkenstok clogs and the protection always slip with the friction.

Does anyone know of shoes that are secure enough and non slippery but also very breathable, exceptionnaly on the tip (where most of the sweat accumulate) ?

I was looking at Mozo's Sharkz but im not sure if they breath enough.
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks !

#3 ·
What Kuan says,

Plus:

Make sure the shoes you wear are leather. Stay far, far away from vinyl or any other man made material , no matter how many ventilation holes they have.

Have at least two pairs of shoes at work, make sure to rest one pair for a day before wearing. Shoes need a good day to properly dry out. Wearing sweat soaked shoes day in and day out just makes the situation worse and shortens the life of your shoes.

Take the laces out of one pair, and have them sit in the sun for a good 8-10 hrs. Nothing kills bacteria like u.v. light—sunlight. Then do the same with the other pair. Repeat every week.

Don’t spray the insides with rubbing alcohol or any kind of “product”, it’ll just weaken the leather and cause premature failure.

Hope this helps...

#4 ·
Oh man, that must be horrible. I feel for you...rotating shoes and socks is a good idea. That sounds like the type of thing that won't heal until you get some time out of the kitchen so you can rest and not sweat/wear clogs. Which is hard to do in our industry.

#6 ·
Thanks for the advises guys !

It is getting better ! I did protect my feet with a better bandage recently (fabric dressing for burns impregnated with a solution that keep it moist), but most of all, I bought socks made out of organic bamboo fiber.

And its freakin magic ! My feet stay dry all day !

Didn't even change my shoes.

Anyway I'm following a treatment with Chinese herbal medicine which will hopefully get rid of this eczema once and for all.

Sorry for the late answer and thank you again for the quick answers.

P.S :
Do not eat chili if you have eczema! Big trigger.

#7 ·
You have to choose nice shoes by checking the quality test report. If your shoe is made of fabric, it would be better for you. Actually, the itching issue came from the Ph of the shoe material. If the Ph results are not within the limit then it can be very bad for the skin. So please check the quality report before buying the shoe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.