Looking for source for pure vanilla powder

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by anna w., Dec 28, 2002.

1. anna w.

anna w.

OK- I fell in love. Recently had my first experience with vanilla powder and am on a quest to find it in a size larger than 4 oz. Can anyone recommend a source?

2. spoons

spoons

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Try myspicer.com

3. lotuscakestudio

lotuscakestudio

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    I also would like to find pure vanilla powder. Neilson-Massey only carries it cut with maltodextrin. The stuff at myspice.com also contains filler- sugar and cornstarch.

4. w.debord

w.debord

I also asked about this on another thread....what I believe is; they all have fillers and thats fine. The only product I found thats "more pure" becomes actual vanilla seeds that are dry (since their not in the pod). (Maybe you mean something different for you vegan needs Lotus?) Albert Uster sells that as vanilla bean powder and it's very expensive and I couldn't find a real use for it because it's potency is FAR dimenished. I'm still looking for how I'm going to use up the Uster product.

My first purchase of this was Nelson Massesy's brand vanilla powder...it smells heavenly. It did the job in the item I used it in, a sable crust.

Just curious Anna, what items have you tasted the powder in?

5. anna w.

anna w.

I tried it in a shortbread recipe and a bavarian cream. The scent alone is enough to convert me- no alchohol smell. It is more like using the bean without the hassel. My daughter even tried it straight and added some to a glass of warm milk. She loved it, too. I think the only place I wouldn't use it is in an icing where the black spots would be undesireable. Since I haven't been working since I got it, and only doing things for my own household, I haven't had the opportunity to try it in some other things. I plan on trying it in everything when I start again in January.

6. charlotte baker

charlotte baker

The first vanilla powder ( ground vanilla bean ) that I used came from Macy's Cellar 25 years ago.
    In subsequent years I've ordered it by mail From Fauchon in Paris and from the King Arthur Flour catalogue. I use it along with vanilla extract in cake recipes usually creaming it into the butter. It seems to point up the vanilla flavor and I wouldn't be without it. I also use it when I'm poaching pears or peaches.

7. kthull

kthull

www.vanilla.com also sells the powder, though the site doesn't list how much you'll get. Good prices on whole beans and has historical info as well.

8. mbcakes

mbcakes

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I've been using vanilla powder in cookies, cakes and just yesterday tried it in my italian meringue and it was great, mixed in well and no spots because its a pale tan color. It does contain fillers though. Can't remember the brand but I'll check tomarrow and post the info when I get home.

9. lotuscakestudio

lotuscakestudio

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Wendy, Neilsen-Massey has maltodextrin which is just corn derived, but I have some pretty whacky customers. I can see myself making the official switch (woo! pricey stuff!) and having 10 brides in a row refuse to eat it because the corn *might* be genetically modified or b/c it's not available in organic. I figure if I found it pure, I could cut it myself with tapioca starch or something.

Anna, what stuff are you getting? Neisen-Massey has no specks. It must be the same as Micheline's powdered vanilla b/c it's a light tan color.

I wonder how to make this stuff? Just dry out the seeds inside the pods and pulverize? Hmmmm....

10. mbcakes

mbcakes

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Sorry I took so long to post on my dried vanilla (got a little side tracked) but it it made by Neisen-Massey. Hey Lotus, tell me again why we cater to our wacky customers(I type this all the while knowing I'd be one of them)? Even my egg and dairy customers are coming in with some crazy questions. Oh well, never gets boring does it!:bounce: