Looking for small trivet

Joined Dec 19, 2014
Hi

I am looking for a small trivet, 5" of 6" for a small saucepan, once it comes off of the stove. All I can find is 8". Searched BBB, etsy, amazon. Any ideas where I can find one?

Thanks in advance.

Joined Oct 1, 2006
Hi riff,

I would try e-bay. Next best is to use a 4-6" hunk of scrap wood until you find one more aesthetically pleasing.

I just looked on e-bay. Nice selection of trivets that might work!

Joined Dec 19, 2014
Hi sgmchef

Ah, ebay - didn't even think of that! Just found a couple - thank you!

Umm, can one take a saucepan right off of the stove, and place it on a piece of wood? Isn't that a potential hazard?

Joined Oct 1, 2006
Hi Riff,

Unless a pan is dry, it won't go higher than 212F which will never combust wood. If you have any sauce or vegetable in the small saucepan it is safe. If you don't feel safe don't do it!

I always use an end grain bamboo mat as a trivet for any pot, pan, or roaster I use. However, I do not use it as a place to set a pan hotter than 600F.

My rule is to always have a plan, for safety, whenever I heat a dry cast iron pan or set up a deep fryer at home. I just don't think a small saucepan would present much danger of fire to a disposable hunk of wood unless it's 600F. I'm not suggesting that you set your saucepan on your walnut dining table, just a "scrap". You sounded frustrated so I wanted to suggest an immediate workaround that was low cost but effective for a small saucepan.

I apologize for the confusion. I guess hot pan on wood doesn't really sound safe.

Joined Sep 9, 2018
A trivet /ˈtrɪvɪt/ is an object placed between a serving dish or bowl, and a dining table, usually to protect the table from heat damage. Trivet also refers to a tripod used to elevate pots from the coals of an open fire (the word trivet itself ultimately comes from Latin tripes meaning "tripod").

Joined Dec 19, 2014
Thanks all.

Good to know the wood would be ok... didn't know that the combust temp was that hi.

sgmchef > I sounded frustrated? Where?

Cheers.

Joined Oct 1, 2006
Hey riff,

It was just that you had multiple searches and came up empty. I thought of the verb definition of frustrated, as in thwarted... No emotional distress detected!

The tile is a good idea too!

Joined Oct 1, 2006
There you go riff!

brianshaw to the rescue! Glue together some of your old corks! I always like good solutions that are cheap and effective!

Joined Apr 25, 2017
I think that gluing corks together for a trivet is an good recycling idea as well. I'd better go drink some wine!

Latest posts

Top Bottom