Looking for old fashion chocolate frosting that hardens

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by barbara6711, Sep 12, 2011.

1. ian douglas

ian douglas

Exp:
    Other
    Hi, here is a recipe copied from a no longer working link a few years ago..apologies if it is a repost. 

Grandma pearls flaky chocolate icing
    Instructions:
    This is what the old folks refer to as a “boiled icing.” This means they make it in a pot on top of the oven and it is brought to a boil until it thickens. It is very much like making fudge, but we use a timer instead of a thermometer to trust it gets to the right temperature. Have you ever had your granny make one of those cakes that when she cuts into it, the icing cracks and breaks off in huge fudgy chunks? This is that icing. This icing hardens very quickly, so it’s easiest to use on a sheet cake, where you simply pour it over the cake while it’s still in the pan and allow it to cool. If you’d like the peanut butter version of this icing, it can be found in “yellow cake with peanut butter icing”.
    1½ cups sugar
    ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
    7 tablespoons milk (see Note)
    2 tablespoons shortening
    2 tablespoons margarine
    ¼ teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract 

Combine the sugar, cocoa powder, milk, shortening, margarine, and salt in a heavy saucepan. Bring to a rolling boil, stirring constantly.
    Once it reaches a boil, allow to boil without stirring for 2 minutes, or until it reaches the soft-ball stage. Remove from the heat and add the vanilla. Stir until just slightly cooled. Pour over the cooled cake.
    Note: I know you’re going to be tempted not to measure out the milk, but you’re going to have to. Eyeballing it will mess up this icing every time. I know from experience!
    enough to frost two 9-inch layers or one 9 x 13-inch sheet cake

2. Moonflower

Moonflower

Exp:
    3/5/19
    I was looking for 'stiff' icing to put on cake I was mailing to my son for his birthday and found this site. I thought I should comment for all those who had problems with recipe or it sounded too complicated. It is not, it just takes a little more time than powdered sugar icing, but is SO worth it. Here's what I did that made it easy peasy sure thing first time.

First, I added about 3 T less cocoa, all other ingredients same(I doubled).
    Brought first 4 ingredients to boil over med heat. I used a WHISK instead of a spoon(helps the sugar blend) to mix constantly until it was a rolling boil. Then I let it boil without stirring for about a minute and a half(don't worry if it is still syrupy). then I took pan off heat, added vanilla, stirred just enough to mix, poured into another bowl and mixed with electric mixer for 4 1/2 minutes(it was still runny, but don't worry). I began to pour on WARM cake and spread it as I went. by the time I got to the sides, it was already setting up, but not enough to be a problem, just spread gently. Doesn't have to be perfect because it is going to taste so good.
    It came out without a hitch, tastes like fudge and is primo for that old time icing(or if you want to mail!) The leftovers in the bowl were finger-licking good fudge!