Looking for old fashion chocolate frosting that hardens

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by barbara6711, Sep 12, 2011.

1. rozannrh

rozannrh

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I know you probably already have what you are looking for, but try this! My mom used to make the kind of frosting you are describing, and I can make it - but it is a pain. I stumbled across 2 different recipes last year that are easy to do, and mimic the recipe perfectly (I even fooled my oldest brother - who had a passion for mom's version). I'm not sure if I can put them in here because of copy write protection, but here is how to find them:

Pillsbury.com - search for Chocolate Cherry Bars - the frosting is divine! (I double it for a 9x13)

in Google type in "grandma pearl's flaky chocolate icing southern plate" and you will find the recipe ( this is the one that fooled my brother, but the Pillsbury one is easier to make). The Southern Plate Cookbook is definitely worth buying - she has many recipes that are reminiscent of old recipes (try the Old Fashioned Peanut Butter Icing - version of the Flaky Chocolate Icing - yum!)

Happy cooking!

2. sandralou

sandralou

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Please help; I've also been trying to find such a chocolate icing; when I google   "grandma pearl's flaky chocolate icing southern plate" it does not come up. I sure would like to have this recipe!! Thanks!!

3. rozannrh

rozannrh

Exp:
    Home Cook
  4. sandralou

sandralou

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Thanks, appreciate it!

5. rnewberry8831

rnewberry8831

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I think this may be the one you are talking about. My grandmother also use t make it. It had about 14 thin layers and just like you were talking about, it hardens but is not hard when you bite it. It is still my favorite desert. 2 cups sugar, 1/2 cup butter, 1/2 cup milk, 1/2 cup cocoa. Mix & bring to a boil for 1 minute, (I usually do just a little longer to make sure the sugar is dissolved well). Set aside or in a double boiler with cool water in bottom, to cool some. You may add 2 cups of nuts if desired, but I never do. When it just starts to thicken, start icing your layers. I usualy have to use toothpick to hold the all the layers on straight while icing. Hope you enjoy it as much as we all still do! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/thumb.gif

6. oc s cake

oc s cake

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I had a  childhood friend who's dad use to make that same frosting and we would never watch him make the frosting just the cake then dart outdoors. He passed a way at a young age and so did my friend (age 16) and i never asked his wife if she had the recipe.That's the best tasting frosting i have ever had, i loved the way the

frosting would crack as i bit into each pc.i will try some of the recipes. thanks for sharing. : )

7. tracy brown

tracy brown

Exp:
    At home cook
    Hi, 

For the crackling effect you'll need cocoa butter.

This is the recipe i use: Mix one tbsp of melted cocoa butter with 100g of bitter sweet chocolate of good quality. Pour on the cake and set aside to cool.

8. lmeetze

lmeetze

Exp:
    At home cook
    I also remember the frosting this way.  I really knew it was the right one when you add the vanilla last. Thank you so much, I too have been looking for this recipe and knew it at one time was on the Hershey's can but isn't any longer. My mom used to make this for my daddy all the time (his favorite) and she put pecans on top (pressing into the icing before it cooled). Chocolate and pecans my favorite.

Thanks

9. obelia

obelia

Exp:
    At home cook
    Southerngal has the correct recipe.  This is the one my mother always made for her favorite "thin" layer chocolate cake..She always stipulated that one should never make it on a very humid day...always on a fair sunshiny day...It literally does pour over the layers...I put chopped nuts between my layers also...I drizzle slightly over the edges of each layer in a scalloped pattern,  On each scollop, I put one whole half of a pecan.on each layer. Then, Completely cover the top layer continuing with the scollops in an alternating pattern. Cover the top with an attractive pattern with the whole half pecans, and sprinkly in between them fairly fine chopped pecans...Totally delicious!  One I am getting ready to go to the kitchen and make for my family for Thanksgiving tomorrow at my brother's request.  I use just enough cake batter in my pans to cover the bottom of the pans approximately 1/2 inch thick..This ends up being a little over a cup of batter.  .I end up with about 7 layers...

10. obelia

obelia

Exp:
    At home cook
    Check out the recipe that Southerngal posted.  That is the recipe...I am on my way into the kitchen to make exactly that cake.  Good luck.  It was also my mother's recipe...

11. obelia

obelia

Exp:
    At home cook
    This is my mother's cooked chocolate cake icing that is syrup like when initially poured over your layers and sets up to be slightly softer than hard stage candy...It will hold its shape....Chocolate Cake Icing:  1 cup of carnation evaporated milk.  2 cups of sugar...1 cup of chocolate chips, 1/4 cup of cocoa...1/4 cup of butter....

Wipe heavy pan with butter around the sides.  Pour ingredients into buttered pan..Boil to soft formed stage. until a drop forms a ball in a sm. amount of cold water. ..Stir frequently intil it becomes thick enough to spread.  Put on layers while still warm...as it cools it will set....and become hard...I make 7 thin ( 1/2 inch thick) layers.  I spread icing between each layer forming a scallop pattern around each layer. alternating the placement of my scallops with each layer..  I then sprinkle each layer with fairly fine chopped pecans.  I then place 1 whole half of a pecan on each scallop center with the curved end resting on the edge of the layer.  I  repeat until the top layer is placed.. and then.spread tthe top layer in as attractive a pattern as I can with swirls, etc.  Sprinkle with chopped pecans, and whole half pieces to make an attractive pattern...This is our traditional holiday chocolate cake.  Enjoy!  It is delicious!

trudy kuruc likes this.
  12. trudy kuruc

trudy kuruc

Exp:
    At home cook
    [​IMG]         I'm Looking to find out how to make this harden Icing and what candy were used for the lights on the antlers- Can anyone suggest a recipe that looks like this and tastes delicious. I found this on photo on allrecipes.com butterscotch was used to make the ginger bread cookies- don't know if the icing is butterscotch or chocolate. It was made by a cookie expert  . I would love to make it taste like chocolate fudge I thought this was so creative- Rudolph made from ginger bread cookies- but how do I make the decorating icing? Does anyone's recipe come out looking like this. I think this is Harden icing .

Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  13. kispuppy

kispuppy

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Best luck so far.... Sugar, coco powder, milk and corn starch for thickening in double boiler. 3 or 4 cups sugar 2/3 cup coco  1 1/2 milk let it boil to melt the sugar unless you like grainy frosting, add corn starch little at a time. Let it cool a little. Ice the cake when you like the thickness of the frosting. Very close to my Mamaw's Frosting.

14. cindy2356

cindy2356

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    This Icing recipe was on the back of Hersheys cocoa label. I can't find it any where on the web.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  15. cindy2356

cindy2356

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    This is it.

100- Year old Chocolate Cake

cake recipe

5 eggs

2 cups sugar

1 1/2 sticks margarine

3 cups self rising flour

1 teaspoon vanilla flavoring

1 cup milk

Cream eggs, sugar, and margarine, Add flour and milk alternately. Stir in vanilla. This is enough batter for 6 to 8 layers. Layers may also be cooked on a griddle. If baked in a pan in the oven be sure to put wax paper in bottom ov pans. Bake at 350* for 10 minutes. While the first layers are baking start cooking the chocolate icing.

Chocolate Icing

1/2 cup cocoa

2/3 cup hot water

Add cocoa to hot water ( in a 3-quart saucepot or a double boiler) Mix and let come to a boil; add1/2 stick of margarine; melt and add

2 cups sugar

1 big can carnation milk

1 teaspoon vanilla

Let boil. (icing will not be thick so don't over cook) Put a glass of cold tap water beside stove top. When icing comes to a boil stir with a spoon, and let icing drip off of spoon into glass of water. If icing disolves it is not ready. The icing must form into a ball and drop to the bottom of the glass of water; and remain in a ball. Spoon icing between layers and on top of cake and let run down the sides of cake. 

adcocba likes this.
  16. siduri

siduri

Exp:
    At home cook
    Did they have margarine 100 years ago?  i thought it was from WWII, and that it came in tubs. I doubt even butter came in sticks 100 years ago.  and carnation milk?  maybe.  Where'd you get the recipe, Cindy?

17. theresaloviette

theresaloviette

Exp:
    At home cook
    I had the same problem.  I used a recipe of my mother's, old fashioned fudge recipe, and I would cook it to long or not long enough, and it would turn out to hard or to soft, I could not adjust the cooking time for a frosting.  I found this recipe on line with the temp of the chocolate and what stage it should be to be able to pour over a cake.  Try this and you may be able to get what you are looking for.

Boiled Chocolate Icing

1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
    3 cups granulated sugar
    1 1/2 cups whole or 2% milk
    1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
    3 squares unsweetened baking chocolate
    1/4 cup heavy cream (optional)

In a large heavy saucepan, melt the butter, sugar, milk, and vanilla over low heat until the sugar is dissolved, about 5 minutes. Bring to a boil and cook, without stirring, for 1 minute. Brush down the sides of the pan with a pastry brush dipped in warm water to remove sugar crystals, then turn off heat. Stir in the chocolate until melted and smooth.

Return heat to medium. Brush down the sides of the pan again one more time with water. Cook the chocolate mixture, WITHOUT STIRRING, until it reaches 238°F, the soft-ball stage, approximately 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, prepare an ice water bath in a large bowl. When icing reaches soft-ball temperature, place saucepan in water to stop the cooking. DO NOT STIR. Let the frosting cool to 120°F, approximately 20 minutes. Remove the pan from the water. Using an electric mixer, beat the icing on high speed for about 3-5 minutes. It should reach a pourable consistency. If it is too thick to pour, beat in heavy cream one tablespoon at a time until it is the right consistency.

Working quickly, frost the cake. Pour 1/3 of icing over the center of first layer and push out with a spatula. Add second cake layer and pour remaining icing over the top. Push out frosting so it runs over the sides of the cake. Smooth as much as possible. Let cake stand until icing sets and loses its sheen. Good luck!

Notes:

To Make a 3-Layer Cake: Prepare an extra-large batch of the recipe, increasing all the ingredients by half (to make 1 1/2 batches). To frost the cake, pour 1/4 of the icing over the first layer, 1/4 of the icing over the second layer, and the remaining icing over top.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2013
  18. theresaloviette

theresaloviette

Exp:
    At home cook
    They say that is a royal icing that gets hard enough to decorate a cookie.  I also included the website address with the recipe.

Royal Chocolate Icing

Ingredients
    • 8 cups {one bag} confectioner’s sugar
    • 1/2 cup cocoa powder {I like Hershey’s Special Dark}
    • 1/2 cup meringue powder
    • 1 Tbsp vanilla
    • 3/4 cup+2 Tbsp warm water
    Instructions
    1. Add dry ingredients to the bowl and mix lightly before adding the liquid. Mix half the water with the flavoring and add to the dry ingredients and mix on low adding the remaining liquid little by little until the mixture reaches the consistency of molasses. At this point, turn the mixer to high and whip for approximately two minutes until the icing is light and fluffy like meringue.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2013
  19. janab

janab

Exp:
    Home Chef
    I have been looking for a choc. icing like my granny's and I do believe this is what I am looking for as well.  She never told us what was in it but I remember being in the kitchen with her and helping put the layers on the cake plate while she poured and spread..  I was an awesome choc. icing. 

20. lmccrelles

lmccrelles

Exp:
    At home cook
    Thank you so much  !  This is exactly what I'm looking for.