Looking for "Mastello" recipes

Joined Jul 31, 2000
I'm looking to introduce this dish in the spring, Anyone have there special secrets to share?

I will have no problem getting the vinewood.
Thanks
cc

Joined Nov 29, 2001
What is Mastello? I did a Google search on the word and came up with a broad spectrum of hits from cement to gelato. Thanks for the enlightenment! :)

Joined Jul 31, 2000
Sorry,
it is a lamb dish from the Cyclandes in Greece.
Mastello is named for the large clay pot the lamb is cooked in over the vinewood.
I believe it is an easter specialy on Sifos.
It is made with potatoes,red wine,dill,olive oil Etc.

people used to bring it to the bakers to cook it for them.

Mastello is also a cheese from the northeastern aegean.
I hope this helps.

it is the Lamb however I am interested in
cc

Joined Jul 24, 2001
Mastelo is a cheese from the island of Chios in Northeastern aegean.
Very mild, not too salty perfect for saganaki.

In Siphnos , the island who is considered by the Greeks to have the best kitchen, they make the baby goat ( not lamb :) ) in a clay pot that has the shape of a breast.
mastelo derives from the word mastos that mean breast.

I can trace you a recipe fom mastelo, if you are familiar with the kleftiko recipes it's something similar. Many herbs , some garlic ( although they do not use garlic in the islands ) and the meat is cooked in a sealed with clay or dough pot.

But you know the mastelo recipes are like those of chioppino :)

Endless :)

Joined Jul 31, 2000
Thank you Athenaeus,

I would appreciate your help if you find the time.
Also, My understanding of "kleftika" is either lamb or goat cooked with garlic and feta and kefalotyri cheeses in paper.

Is it true that the word "klephtiko" comes from the mountian rebels who would cook all there food under ground to not give away there location?
As always I appreciate your help
cc

Joined Jul 24, 2001
Indeed.

Kleftiko means " the way of kleftes"
Kleftes were the rebels during the Ottoman occupation that lived on the mountains because they couldn't stand oppression.
Kleftiko is cooked in the skin of a sheep, in a fire that is in a hole in the earth and then covered by the soil.

I wonder though , how the smell didn't give them away... :)

I will do my best with mastello

Top Bottom