Looking for knife suggestions!

Discussion in 'Cooking Knife Reviews' started by thatknifeguy, Jun 13, 2015.

1. thatknifeguy

thatknifeguy

Exp:
    Home Chef
    Hey guys originally this thread was for a cutting board, however I just changed it!

I bought a 7" and 4" Shun premier Santoku and paring knife with the Shun Premier Honing rod which I will be returning to get something better. 

Let me know what you think I should get!

Another option (If possible): Use the Shun honing rod on all my knives, Keep the Shun Santoku (I got it for 95$), and get another Japanese knife that could be a nice addition to the Santoku, It would have to be one that I am able to use on the harder foods. Or am I destined to get a german knife for the harder foods? And then I would replace the paring knife too.

Knife Suggestion Criteria - Post 11

I am looking for some suggestions on what japanese knives and honing rod I should get.

Size: ~7" Santoku or Gyuto (Any all purpose knife) and a 4" Petty knife.

Goal: Would like the edge to resist chipping as well as possible and retain its sharpness for as long as possible with regular honing. And a wood handle. 

Sharpening: I do plan to get them professionally sharpened once a year, if there is a more expensive knife that would need to be sharpened substantially less, it would be great to know.

Left handed: I am left handed, is it in my best interest to buy only left handed knives?

Honing rod: I have the Shun Premier honing rod, I could return that as well. I would prefer one that has a wooden handle and can mount on my knife magnet. 

Me: I will be using these knives at least 2X daily for hopefully the rest of my life. I am only using them for 1~3 people though. I want these 2 knives to last forever and can wait/save up if I need to increase my budget. I have given a lot of thought about getting something bigger than 7" and my reasoning for staying with 7" is that my cutting board is only 14"X9" and I do have relatively small hands.

Budget: Let's be reasonable here and try to keep it under ~250 per knife, I am under the impression it might not be worth the extra money after that. If there is something that makes the 400$ knife truly that much better I would be interested. On the flip side, if I don't have to pay 250$ to get the same knife, I would rather not.

Where to buy: Right now I am looking at JKI and CKTG anyplace is welcome!

THANKS!

Hey,

I just bought a couple VG-10 steel knives and want to get a good cutting board to make sure the knives don't chip and stay as sharp as long as possible. I can't post a link to the item I want to get however it is made of Sheesham wood and can be found at amazon under the name architec gripperwood sheesham.

If anyone could let me know if this wood is soft enough and good for knives it would be great.

Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 14, 2015
  2. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Sheesham sheesham by the seashore. Also known as indian rosewood. Never hears of it used in a cutting board. I like tight end grain hardwoods like northern maple.

thatknifeguy likes this.
  3. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Martha sells them

I like end grain maple too and never chipped a vg- ten on one.

thatknifeguy likes this.
  4. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I have never heard of this wood, no high-end maker is using it, and certainly if they did they would not show the apparent knots I see in it.  End-grain is the best, and BoardSmith makes the best of the best.  Maple, Cherry and  Walnut are what typically get used, Cherry is the lightest and softest and is perfectly fine for home use, Maple is what you want in high-traffic areas.

You can use edge grain also, in the approved woods above, (no acacia or teak, they are abrasive) it's a lot cheaper and doesn't require the same extent of meticulous craftsmanship to make it resistant to splitting as with end-grain.

But if you often find yourself really pumping through the volume with abandon then the end-grain is worth the extra bucks.  This would also be true if you have your knives sharpened to very acute angles.

Rick

Edit note:  There were no comments yet submitted when I began writing.  And so poof!, the mystery of Sheesham is revealed before I know whatup.  Happened in a matter of minutes, what adverse synchronicity.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2015
    thatknifeguy likes this.
  5. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    The only thing I've ever seen that wood used for is furniture. Like at Pier 1 or world market. Not used much in Western world furniture that I know of.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2015
  6. thatknifeguy

thatknifeguy

Exp:
    Home Chef

7. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Avoiding chips may have more to do with good knife skills than anything else. But good for you getting a nice board; you won't regret it one iota. When you get a German chef knife, get at least 8 inch... Six is just too short and more of a utility knife than a chef knife.

thatknifeguy likes this.
  8. thatknifeguy

thatknifeguy

Exp:
    Home Chef
    Thanks!

This is going to sound crazy, but I am actually coming from having used only a cheap serrated steak knife for everything over the past few years. 

Do you think it is going to be inevitable that I chip or "abuse" my first Japanese knife?

The reason I ask is because I can still return my Shun Premier knives (I haven't used them yet due to not having a proper cutting board) and having browsed these forums I feel like I should be getting something like this: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kasa16.html instead. 

Thanks

9. thatknifeguy

thatknifeguy

Exp:
    Home Chef
    Thanks!

I am actually coming from having only used a serrated steak knife for everything over the past few years. 

Do you think it is going to be inevitable that I chip or "abuse" my first Japanese knife?

The reason I ask is because I can still return my Shun Premier knives (I haven't used them yet due to not having a proper cutting board) and having browsed these forums I feel like I should be getting something like "Kanehiro AS Santoku 165mm" from Chef Knives To Go, or something from Japan Knives Imports.

Also, I am left handed. I see some knives are available at a steep mark up for left handed people, would it be in my best interest to get one of these?

Thanks for all the help everyone!

10. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I've been using Shun for many years and the only chip I've ever had was when I dropped it on a ceramic tile floor. If you don't do something like that I would not think chips are inevitable or anything to fear.

thatknifeguy likes this.
  11. thatknifeguy

thatknifeguy

Exp:
    Home Chef

12. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Don't throw out your serrated steak Knife. Good luck with whatever you choose to do!