Looking for ideas: Roast Duck. How? and what do I serve it with?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by french fries, Nov 23, 2016.

1. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Pardon me for thinking aloud amidst you guys so you can help foster my inspiration. Ok tomorrow, roast duck. How do I roast it (spice rub....?)? And what veggies could I serve as accompaniment? Not really excited by potatoes or sweet potatoes. I know Duck goes well with sweet stuff.... I wish I could find quinces!!! 

The only thing that inspires me so far is a 'wild' mushroom medley, maybe with garlic, parsley... stuff like that. 

2. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Maybe an apple cider infused duck served with Apples and mushrooms? I would need to buy some Calvados....

3. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Chinese Five spice would be an easy spice rub.

Carrots take to sweetness well. Apples and red cabbage in some variation of rot kohl. That wouldn't be my choice to serve against five spice duck though. 

Just some stream of thinking. 

4. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Googling rot kohl. I like the idea of pairing Apples and Red Cabbage. Will give it some thought. Thanks Phatch!

5. nicko

nicko Founder of Cheftalk.com Staff Member

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
  6. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Thank you @Nicko  - although I don't think the article "Duck In Place Of Chicken" has anything to do with duck?

So I bought granny smith, fennel and a duck. And I have Cognac, of course. So something like that... I'm tired. 

Thanks all. 

7. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    If anything can benefit from a beautiful cranberry sauce it is duck!  Heavy on the orange I'd say. My personal favorite is a mulled-wine cranberry sauce http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/mulled-wine-cranberry-sauce-233173

As for potatoes, who needs them?  If they don't excite you nix them.  Personally I die a little on the inside when I don't see potatoes on the table but it's not a rule that you have to make them. How about rice? People forget all about rice on Thanksgiving. I make a killer wild rice "stuffing"with sausage, sage, chicken livers and chestnuts.  

I really love roasted carrots.  I like to make a medley of carrots and parsnips, tossed cumin, olive oil, chili flakes and roasted alongside a halved orange.  I dress them with olive oil and the roasted orange juice.  

Along the line of more sweetness you could also roast vegetables with pommegranate molasses, I've done this with brussel sprouts and onions too.  Heck I bet the molasses would make a great glaze for the duck too!  I've never made a whole duck but when making duck breast I really like rubbing it generously with allspice and rosemary, then finishing with honey at the end.  That's probably what I'd do, rub the duck with salt, pepper, allspice and rosemary and then glaze it with pomengranate molasses. Yum!

Don't forget a bright and acidic salad to contrast the rich duck.

8. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    You need to stop by my house and get a jar of the port-cranberry-orange-onion relish I made for Thanksgiving. It would be great with your duck. And since we had to cancel the Thanksgiving feast due to a family tragedy it might not get eaten otherwise. But no potato... heresy!

9. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Wow, so many amazing ideas, thanks guys!!! Cranberry sauce huh? Funny my wife suggested it and I immediately replied Naaaah that would be for turkey but I'm not going to serve that with duck. Now I'm reconsidering!!! @BrianShaw  if only I had the time I would take you up on your offer!!! But I'm afraid that unless by "Great Los Angeles" you mean "North Hollywood", I probably won't have the time to stop by. Thank you so much for the offer!! And so sorry to hear there was a tragedy in your family. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/frown.gif

Potatoes? Argh now that I have my fennel and apples I'm craving potatoes and mushrooms!!! Never satisfied. Oh well, that's the direction I'm going. Been eating way too many potatoes lately anyway. And rice too, so that's out too. 

I really like the idea of rubbing the duck skin with all spice and rosemary, plus I think that would be fantastic with apples and fennel! So thanks for that. 

Last edited: Nov 24, 2016
  10. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I think duck might be an even better pairing with cranberry sauce than turkey.  I'm assuming.

I am inspired and will now glaze my ham with pomegranate molasses, allspice and cloves yeehaw.

11. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    spice rub) fennel seed, cacoa nibs, cardamom

sauce) blackberry ginger

side) freekah, pomegranate, almond, nashi pear pilaf

12. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Alright scrap all my original plans. Don't feel like apples and fennel today. And I can't let @Koukouvagia  die a little on the inside on day like today. So BACK TO POTATOES! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif  I think this is because yesterday as I dressed the duck, pricked its skin and rubbed it with salt I saw all that duck fat and it just SCREAMED to slowly render on top of a bed of potatoes, onions, garlic, rosemary and thyme. And I'll probably do some sautéed mushrooms. 

@cheflayne   thank you for the last minute suggestions. Fennel seed sounds killer on the duck! I think I'll use that. And I did buy a little piece of ginger! So somehow that's going to make it into the duck or into the sauce, probably the sauce come to think of it. 

Have to run to the store. 

Thanks all!

13. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    OOoooh found a jar of dried "trompettes chanterelles" that my mum had picked in the forest.... that's going to be my mushroom dish!!! :)

14. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I would kill to eat one of those potatoes.  I'm glad you saw reason.

I did my glaze.  We cook ham first thing in the morning on Tday so that we can have a nice breakfast. Dinner is in the evening.

15. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    OMG, FF... you have my mouth salivating uncontrollably. Those spuds sound absolutely delish.

If we could coordinate I'd put that relish on a bus and ship it to you on the other end of the Orange Line! Have a very happy feast.

16. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook

17. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    And green peppercorns!! Grinding some green peppercorns to rub the duck along with the fennel seeds. 

18. nicko

nicko Founder of Cheftalk.com Staff Member

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Please take photos and share! Happy Thaksgiving to you FF

19. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Thank you Nicko! Happy Thanksgiving to you! I took a couple of pics before the bird went in the oven: 

...and the still-dry trompettes chanterelles: 

Last edited: Nov 25, 2016
    nicko likes this.
  20. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Omg that looks amazing already!