Looking for how-to on making espresso/mochas

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by calicoskies, Dec 7, 2003.

1. calicoskies

calicoskies

Ok, I ordered a Bialetti 6C stovetop espresso maker. Now, how do I make espresso? I know I have to buy high quality coffee in an espresso grind, correct? (I dont have a grinder) I really want to make mochas. What do I use for the chocolate? Real chocolates, cocoa powder, choco syrup? I also ordered a Nissan handpump frother, so I just need to know the ratios of espresso/chocolate something/frothed milk. And if anyone can advise me how many coffee scoops or tablespoons of coffee for a 6C espresso, I'd be grateful.

I make a great cup of coffee, so I am assuming I can learn to make a great espresso too. Looking forward to making homemade mochas and lattes.

2. bradleyo

bradleyo

Calling those stovetop coffee makers espresso makers is rather misleading. They are actually moka pots. To make true espresso, you really need a pump-type machine. Not that a moka pot won't make a nice cup of coffee. It just won't be a true espresso. It should, however, be adequate for making milk-based drinks.

As for recipes, try looking here for discussion of how to make a mocha.

For tips on using your moka pot, look here.

Have fun.

3. calicoskies

calicoskies

Brad, thanks for the correction on my use of "espresso." And thanks for the website link! Some great info there. I already have the stuff I need, just waiting on my pot to arrive. As far as everyday coffee, I use Dunkin Donuts. For this new pot, I should get an espresso grind of something, right? I was just going to go into a coffee shop and ask them for a recommendation.

4. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    You would be surprised at how many times I have heard that Dunkin Donuts have some of the best coffee around.

5. calicoskies

calicoskies

Pete, its the ONLY coffee I use at home, for several years now. Its excellent. I've tried so many dif coffees and this one is consistently the flavor I am looking for. Its on sale now, 2lb for $10 so give it a try! They have whole bean and ground. Makes great, smooth coffee.

6. bradleyo

bradleyo

You need a fine grind for a moka pot. Your best bet is to get a grinder and do it yourself. Otherwise, have it ground for espresso and it should work.

I got the espresso bug a few years ago and it can be a very expensive hobby if you go full out--semi-professional machine and grinder, roaster, water filter, etc. But the quality of espresso you can make is truly amazing. By comparison, Starbucks espresso is sludge compared to what I can make at home on equipment costing a fraction of theirs. If you really get interested, the best place to start is coffeegeek.com.