Looking For Food Mill Recommendations

Discussion in 'Cooking Equipment Reviews' started by jte1130, Feb 23, 2005.

1. jte1130

jte1130

I'm looking to buy a decent food mill. I'm mainly going to be using it for tomatoes when I make sauce and not much else. I'm looking for a recommendation on a good food mill that is not too pricey.

2. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Cook's Illustrated liked the Cuisipro and one other that was cheaper. I can't remember the brand.

Phil

3. jte1130

jte1130

Thanks for the info. Is Cuisipro made by Cuisinart? or is it a different brand?

4. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    Don't know about Cusipro, but I just got an All-Clad food mill, and it is the love of my life. Yes, it is fairly expensive, I've been through I don't know how many inexpensive ones, and this one is going the be the last one I ever buy. All stainless steel, very solidly built, with three disks (fine, medium, large).

Once you have a good food mill, you will find lots more things to do with it. It's my favorite way to make mashed potatoes and similar purees. It's great for making pureed vegetable soups, applesauce, even spatzl. And roast garlic paste (roast the cloves unpeeled, then run them through the food mill)!

Whatever kind you get, make sure it comes apart easily for cleaning.

5. jte1130

jte1130

The All-Clad does look enticing. I'm just afraid to spend all that money and not use it that much.