Looking for commercial kitchen to rent in Bay Area/Peninsula

Discussion in 'Professional Pastry Chefs' started by melindaj, Oct 12, 2012.

1. melindaj

melindaj

Exp:
    Professional Baker
    I'm trying to start a wedding cake business and I'm looking for a commercial kitchen to rent but I don't have a lot of money so I'd like to share a space/hours with someone else.  I know the Culinary Incubator website has some options but they are either a) expensive, or b)a little far to drive and park at the random hours I would be working (late at night, generally).  Does anyone know of a place in the Bay Area/Peninsula region that has a kitchen they want to rent? 

2. petemccracken

petemccracken

Exp:
    Professional Chef
  3. nickyc

nickyc

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Have you checked the commercial rental section of craigslist? i see hourly kitchen rentals there all the time, atleast in the east bay where i live.

also, check local churches and senior centers. a lot have commercial kitchens that sit unused for most of the week.

sorry for no specific reccomendations, or if these ideas are redundant.

4. melindaj

melindaj

Exp:
    Professional Baker
    I wish the Cottage Baking Law would work in my favor, but unfortunately, wedding cakes have frosting, the ingredients of which are considered a potentially hazardous food...

5. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    Depends on what sort of icing you use.

Toba Garrett has what she terms a "decorator icing".

Made using high ratio shortening.

It not only tastes great (and whips up fluffy!) but doesn't leave that greasy coating on the tongue.

I use this recipe for all of my outdoor events (Texas!) and a fair share of my indoor venues also.

Also works great as a filling, by adding jams and other mix ins that are non perishable.

I also use a lot of flavor emulsions and oils (LorAn products is my go to for these, esp the butter flavorings).

Also works like a dream under fondant.

mimi

* Tip...depending on how far away the venue is I will either refrigerate or freeze (yes, even fondant) the order.

By the time I drive, set up and add in the expected time until cake cutting, the cake is a nice cool temp, perfect for slicing.

Of course any decos I will be using are left in a good sturdy box as they don't thaw as nicely as the cake.

m.

6. lescookettes

lescookettes

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Hi MelindaJ,

I know this thread is now 2 years old but I am facing the same problem as you did. Looking for an affordable kitchen to rent between SF and San mateo, for a few hours a week, but no luck so far.

Let me know if you ended finding sth that worked for you and if any suggestions. Many thanks!

7. Green Chow

Green Chow

Exp:
    Chef, catering
    This thread continues years later! I am looking for a commercial kitchen to rent part time close to San Mateo. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!