Looking for brined turkey breast recipe

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by flyguyj59, Nov 28, 2004.

1. flyguyj59

flyguyj59

My partner and I are flight attendants and rarely get the holidays (any holidays) off. Hence, this year we are celebrating "Chrisgiving" on a day of our own choosing. There will only be the two of us, so I'm not planning on cooking a full turkey. I've got plenty of recipes for side dishes, but I'm looking for a recipe for a brined turkey breast. I understand that it is the trend in cooking turkeys this year, and I'm sure a 3-5 pound breast will be enough for 2, with leftovers to spare. I sure would appreciate recipes sent to my email address ([email protected]), and I'd be happy to share my recipe for potatoes au gratin with you (a little labor intensive, but worth the effort!!).

Thanks,
    Joel (flyguyj59)

2. keeperofthegood

keeperofthegood

Hey oh

Well, I am not sure what you mean by 'brined'. I may have a different understanding, so I will explain mine.

1 gallon cold water
    1 table spoon kosher (pickling) salt

Immerse meat, soak overnight in fridge, drain, pat dry, cook.

The salt water soak does a few things. It leaves the meat more tender, it enhances the flavour of the meat, and it draws out the blood of the meat (hence the essence of kosher).

From there, you are essentiall looking for the sky as the limit of what to do,

Myself, if I were to do breast, I would use my boning knife, open a cavety inside the breast and then stuff it. I would also, as breast is very low on fat, wrap the breast in bacon to roast. You wont need to use a lot of bacon, just enough to give a skin to the meat, and here you could do something fancy like smoked bacon, or proscuto, or something along those lines.

As for the stuffing, well. There are just so many variations and ways that will be fabulouse. Think of things like walnuts or pistachios, grains like corn meal or parboiled cous couse, or something like rice (red rice, or blackend rice). Just so many possabilities.

Yes, if I were to do breast, that is the way I would go. Unfortunatly, I don't usually do breast, I do thighs.