Looking for advise on Whole Grain Bread making

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by lora, Dec 13, 2001.

1. lora

lora

First time posting,
    I've just quit my job and am now happily back home and ready to start cooking for my family like I like to. One of the first things I discovered is that I had lost my touch making my whole grain breads. So I'm looking for any tips on baking with whole grain. I have a mill so grind my own wheat and I think I'm learning from my mistakes but any help out there would be great. I use to make wonderful big light loaves that everyone loved. Now my bread doesn't seem to be rising as high and doesn't have the nice texture it once had. Thanks for any help you can give me. Lora.:confused: but hopeful.

2. flash

flash

Hi Lora,

Shooting from the hip, my guess is that you have poor gluten development (well, not you, your bread). I believe that fresh ground Whole Grains have less gluten per mass--cause you're grinding everything, whereas much of the husk is eliminated in "whiter" flours. Another thing could be that your grinder is running too hot, as heat destroys gluten and nutritional value of the grain during the process (must be careful with this). That said, let me refer you to someone who has greater knowledge than I and is a whole grain fanatic, brick-oven bulder, and lives commune style up in petaluma, CA, Alan Scott . I am sure if you e-mail him (or call), he would be happy to answer your questions, and may even serve as a resource for whole grain sales. I worked with him one day as part of a bread class detour I was taking at [email protected], CA, about five years ago. The guy is a trip (in a very GOOD, genius kind of way). At the time, he was grinding spelt and making bread from it--Blew me away, it tasted GREAT! I love bread, making it, kneading it, loving it, eating it.......I could go on for hours. Bread, Bread, Bread, Yum, Yum, Yum. That's my mantra.

Let me know how it goes, will ya?

Also, The Tassajara Bread Book is an awesome resource that has won many a heart and accolade.

have any more questions just post'em,

flash

Tassajara Bread Book

3. lora

lora

I do know about the gluten situation and use added High gluten flour. This I've had for awhile and have been thinking I might need to get some new stuff. My mill is now getting a bit old and the flour is quit hot when it comes out. It seems to be grinding slower too. I might need to get some new blades. So you may have pointed me to the real culprit. If I grind it on a coarser setting it seems to go through faster and get less hot. I found a site yesterday telling me the dough shouldn't be hotter then 80*. Thanks so much for the impute. It all helps solve the mystery. And I will see if I can find your friend. Lora :rolleyes: Getting there.

4. flash

flash

......Glad to here you're getting there. Another thought crossed my mind in regards to your last post. If your mill is the culprit, do as you have already suggested (course grind first, then from course-to-fine so as not to overheat the flour. and of course sharpen the blades), but you might also try Freezing the grains before you mill them, and in between course-to-fine millings--as needed.

Good Luck!

"In bread is pain."--Un DIEU de Fleur

flash