Chef Forum banner

Looking for advice for my first carving knife

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  millionsknives 
#1 ·
I've been working in professional kitchens for 4 years, but never required my own knives until now. I'm in charge of Sunday lunch service cooking roast dinners so need to buy a big carving knife to slice some big joints of meat (topside of beef, leg of lamb and loin of pork, all boned and rolled)

What would you all recommend? I'm a bit clueless. Haven't got a massive budget, need something that'll get me through a few months until I can afford to upgrade.

#2 ·
If you're saving up for something better then for now just get yourself any NSF slicer, a stiff one. The Wusthof Pro has the best steel amongst the plastic-handled bunch.

If it won't scare anyone and you want to look audacious then get yourself a big scimitar. ;-)~

#3 ·
If you're a right-handed, a Japanese sujihiki is probably a safe and affordable solution. Get a 270mm one. Carbon steel will sharpen much easier than stainless.
I would get the Fujiwara FKH from JCK, japanesechefsknife.com
https://japanesechefsknife.com/products/fujiwara-kanefusa-fkh-series-sujihiki
The 270 costs $83. World wide shipping costs $7.
Open another thread about maintenance if you're not familiar with doing your own stone sharpening

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.