Looking for a vegetable knife - Nakiri or Usuba better for me?

Discussion in 'Cooking Knife Reviews' started by celbrise, May 13, 2017.

1. celbrise

celbrise

Exp:
    Line Cook
    looking for a vegetable knife and not sure which of the 2 would best suit me. just started my career last year not a pro or anything and only contain 1 knife in my collection which is a blue steel kiritsuke by shun. this knife is pretty heavy imo to cut vegetables but works okay as well in doing so. 

also any recommendations on which type or brand? i am just looking for something with a comfortable feel and has a wooden handle. looking to buy online at chef knives to go. im looking for quality basically but yet something with ease for someone still new to the field. 

2. jvkolich

jvkolich

Exp:
    Professional Chef

3. chrislehrer

chrislehrer

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    A real usuba is a very bad idea. Expensive, hard to maintain, and exceedingly difficult to learn to use.

I hate nakiri because think they're overpriced garbage. You can get great cheap ones in Japan, but elsewhere they're ridiculous. That said, if it's between these two, go nakiri.

Full disclosure: I use an usuba for vegetables almost exclusively. I love it. But it's not something to get into casually. If you do, you WILL regret it, and your remaining fingers will hate you.

4. kevpenbanc

kevpenbanc

Exp:
    Home cook
    I'm with Chris on the usaba, not a knife to get unless you really, really know what you're doing.

I have a nakiri from JCK, from the Inazuma line.
    A nice enough knife, nothing special, a little short for my tastes nowadays.

I've been eyeing one of these:

http://www.kitchen-knife.jp/pro/nakkiri.htm

Gets lots of good reviews.

5. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    A good deal from this high quality maker.  Wakui is another high quality maker priced reasonably, along with the Ikazuchi line at JKI.

6. playero

playero

Exp:
    Home Chef
    go for a chinese cleaver that will last long

scott livesey likes this.