Looking for a recipe idea for Butternut Squash?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by french fries, Mar 21, 2014.

1. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    I bought a butternut squash and now's time to cook it. Only I don't really know what to do with it. I'm not a huge squash fan so it doesn't really inspire me. 

I know it's very easy to turn them into purees or soups but I don't want that. 

I know I can cut big chunks and roast them in the oven... and I may do that... unless someone can share a better idea? I know I could just google recipes (and I will) but I trust the community to increase my chances of finding a good one. 

Thanks!

2. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Slice it in half.  Not as simple as it sounds, but a good sharp knife will make it easy.

Scoop out the seeds and pulp.  If ambitious you can clean all the stuff off them and roast, like pumpkin seeds.

Brush a little olive oil over the surface, season with salt and pepper. Put in a 350 F degree oven for about 45 minutes.

While they are cooking, saute a mix of onion, bell pepper or hot pepper, maybe mushrooms, fennel bulb, sausage or ground lamb or beef, celery - you get the idea.  Add a bit of tomato sauce to the mix - you don't want the stuffing runny.

After the 45 minutes pull the squash halves out of the oven.  Poke them with a fork to see if they are tender or need more cooking. Pile the stuffing mix in the cavity.  Top with grated cheese of your choice, return to oven until cheese is melted and bubbling.

That's one approach.

mjb.

3. cerise

cerise Banned

Exp:
    Other
    I make a similar dish to teamfat's, except stuff it with chopped apple, raisins, walnuts & cinnamon - and roast.

Other ideas: butternut squash & mascarpone-filled ravioli, brown butter sage sauce, topped w/ crushed amaretti cookies (thrown in the FP).

Gnocchi, potato/BS pancakes, risotto,... still thinking.

Oh, Jacques Pepin has a lovely simple dish for butternut squash  gratin.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
  4. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Wonderful ideas, thanks!! @teamfat  I may well go with that one. Sounds like a nice family meal. @Cerise  great ideas too, I looked up pepin's gratin and it looks delicious too. 

5. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Here's an example of it using acorn squash:

6. cerise

cerise Banned

Exp:
    Other
  7. petemccracken

petemccracken

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I do it slightly differently.

First, peel the squash. I do it by cutting the squash into segments that are manageable, across the long axis, then peel each segment with a chef's knife. You could also use a vegetable peeler.

Next, for the segments that contain seeds/pulp, split vertically and remove seeds and pulp.

Stand segments on cut end and "slab" about 3/8" thick.

Cut slabs into battonettes about 3/8" x 3/8", then dice battonettes resulting in 3/8" x 3/8" x 3/8" dice.

Toss diced squash with olive oil and salt & pepper to taste.

Place in a single layer on a quarter, half, or full sheet pan or cookie sheet (I generally line the pan with foil)

Roast in 400°F oven until just tender, tossing or turning as needed.

Serve immediately OR chill and reserve, sauteing briefly for service.

8. chrisbelgium

chrisbelgium

Exp:
    Home Cook
    These pictures date from 2010. I used a Hokkaido pumpkin but butternut is a perfect substitute. These 3 dishes were made with only one pumpkin.

Best is to start roasting pumpkin slices, tossed in olive oil and spices, for 1 hour in the oven. Add some large potatoes as well, they went in the soup and in the gnocchi.

Gnocchi; you can use any ratio of roasted pumpkin mixed with potatoes like potato/pumpkin 70/30 - 50/50 etc. Add 20% of that mixture in flour. Add an eggyolk if needed. The mixture has to be somewhat sticky, so you need to work very light-handed! Boil in salted water asap, cool in ice-cold water. Finish as you like; I warmed them up in sage butter.

Risotto (my favorite risotto dish); make a risotto as usual. Mix some (hot!) roasted pumpkin very finely and add it to your risotto near the end of the cooking time. Alternatively as I did; mix some pumpkin in the chickenstock that you will use to make the risotto. The mixture has to have the consistency of a thin soup.

Here served with chicken.

Soup; I use onion (sweat for a long time), raw potato (for consistency) and roasted pumpkin, chickenstock. Boil until potatoes are very soft (30 minutes). Mix, serve with sour cream and chorizo.

french fries and abaff410 like this.
  9. seabeecook

seabeecook

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    All good ideas. One of my favorite ways to use butternut squash is in soup. Dice squash into 1" cubes and toss with chopped onion, minced garlic, sage, salt and pepper and olive oil. Lay on sheet pan and roast at 450 deg F until golden brown, stirring every 10 min. Puree squash in blender or food processor, adding chicken or vegetable stock until you get a nice, smooth consistency. The soup should have the consistency of heavy cream. Place in saucepan, bring to temp and add cream. Garnish with toasted pine nuts or pumpkin seeds, croutons, fresh herbs or crème fraiche.

10. abaff410

abaff410

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Fresh butternut squash tortellini 'en brodo' with kohlrabi and sage. Super simple and tasty, especially on cold days.

brandon odell and cerise like this.
  11. abaff410

abaff410

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Quote:
    Awesome! I adore pumpkin gnocchi.

12. chicagoterry

chicagoterry

Exp:
    Home Cook
  13. brandon odell

brandon odell

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Butternut squash polenta is really good, and easy. I roast the squash whole. It's a LOT less time consuming that cutting, scooping, etc. You simply prick the skin all over, just through the skin, and roast whole for about an hour. Longer for larger ones. You can feel when they are done just as with halved squashes. After they are cooked, cut them, scoop and scrape the flesh out. Easy peasy.

For the polenta, cook it most the way, then add enough squash to make a 50/50 mixture. The squash comes apart and distributes smoothly with just a whisk. Little butter and salt and voila. Goes great with rosemary roasted chicken, wilted spinach and a maple whiskey glaze.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
    chrisbelgium and vic cardenas like this.
  14. genemachine

genemachine

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I finally have to get that book. Everything I see from Ottolenghi sounds just brilliant.

15. maryb

maryb

Exp:
    Semi pro/retired now
    Do the slice in half and roast, flip over and fill with brown sugar and a tablespoon or so of butter. Return to the oven and cook until the brown sugar is melted and bubbly. This will even get kids to eat squash.

16. mtullius

mtullius

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    bake either peeled and chunked tossed with oil on a baking sheet or easier, halved as other suggested until soft. drizzle with sage butter, honey and favorite chopped nuts.

17. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Ravioli filling is  good. They also work pretty well as a pasta sauce. Us steamed/roasted butternut puree in the volume suggested for tomatoes in a sauce recipe. You might need a little extra liquid so it simmers properly. Otherwise, it's a simple substitution though the results are a little different. 

18. cerise

cerise Banned

Exp:
    Other
    Butternut squash also works well in lasagna w/ béchamel sauce.

19. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I can't remember the exact percentage offhand, but commercial pumpkin pie filling can contain a lot of butternut squash.

mjb.

20. michaelga

michaelga

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    It can also be mixed with other chunks of root vegetables and roasted for a 'rustic' mash up... turnip and parsnip in particular go well.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014