Looking for a name...

Joined Mar 21, 2002
Of an ingredient. Asian in origin. It's a pickled beet. The one I had was neon green. One of the most interesting tastes I've ever had in my mouth.

If you've ever seen Willy Wonka and the Chocolate factory, and remember the scene with the candy that is a four course meal. That is how I would describe this particular item. A little parade of different tastes in my mouth.

Oh, and you get bonus points if you point me to where I might be able to order a few.

Matt

p.s. points are worth...umm...well, they are redeemable for...things to be named later...yeah...that's it.

Joined Mar 21, 2002
Err...I posted that in the wrong topic...any board mods got the time to move it to the cooking question section?

Matt

Joined Apr 19, 2001
Mathew, since you live in Atlanta, go visit the huge Asian markets there - they're loads to fun to prowl and I'll bet you'll find what it is you're looking for.

The markets I remember were in one of the outer suburbs (?) of Atlanta, can't remember the names but one started with a 'D'. (was only there one time).

Joined Mar 21, 2002
Decatur perhaps? Heh, I could so use a mentor down here that knows the ins and outs. I grew up in a town about 60 miles outside Atlanta so most of my trips to the city were to go to the mall etc. Then when I went off to college the parents moved to Atlanta so I'm not incredibly familiar with all the ins and outs of the culinary scene.

On a secondary note, does anyone use these particular items in any dishes? The only way I had them was sliced thinly.

Matt

Joined Apr 19, 2001
Yes, Decatur!! I remember a long strip of highway, with Asian and Japanese stores along the road. DaiMatsu is one name, and there was a big supermarket that used to be Yauhan (sp?), but it's been bought out and I don't know the other one. Also along this strip were tons of Japanese, Korean, and Asian restaurants. Yum! I also remember a huge Asian sort of farmer's market, in a big warehouse, with the most amazing produce I've seen in my life!

I think it is likely that your 'mystery food' is pickled daikon. It comes in different colors and flavorings, and is used extensively as a 'side dish' in Japanese cuisine. The Japanese love pickles, and you will often see a 'pickle' of some kind in place of a salad for dinner. Pickled daikon is also used in making 'Futomaki' sushi rolls, which may also contain Kampyo (dried gourd strips which have been reconstituted in soy sauce on the stove), maybe cucumber, a dried reddish fish that's sprinkled on the rice, an egg which has been cooked out flat, and cut in strips, and whatever else the sushi chef has on hand! Also some Korean recipes for kimchee have daikon in them.

Plain daikon is used often both as garnish and flavoring (in tempura dipping sauce), and also cut up in chunks and used in some of the winter stews the Japanese make.

I love daikon in all its forms; not as biting as our red radishes, captures flavors beautifully when it's pickleed, and mellows even more when cooked in a stew.

Take a day! Explore! Don't be afraid to ask questions - Orientals love it when 'round-eyes' are interested in their food!

Latest posts

Top Bottom