Looking for a knife for a chef

Discussion in 'Cooking Knife Reviews' started by cookthis2012, Sep 10, 2012.

1. cookthis2012

cookthis2012

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Hey I am a 4 year seasoned line cook me and my fellow cooks would like to buy my chef a nice Japanese knife any suggestions

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2012
  2. 808jono202

808jono202

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    What's the budget that you, and your coworkers would like to spend? Does the Chef DO Japanese Cuisine? 

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2012
  3. chrislehrer

chrislehrer

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Is chef into things like sharpening, finicky details, and whatnot? Do you intend that he use this thing at work?

(Sorry about these questions, but, while you know he's going to be touched, you don't want him thinking, "gee, I wish they'd gotten me something I'd actually enjoy," you know?)

4. cookthis2012

cookthis2012

Exp:
    Line Cook

The situation is is he had a very nice 800 dollar Japanese knife it has recently gotten checked while he was breaking down a pig and now all of us in the kitchen want to get him a new 1 I have put up a picture if you know anybody who can identify this brand

5. knifesavers

knifesavers

Exp:
    Other
    That would be the best thing is a pic. Include a close up of any writing on it. Someone will know it and can suggest an equivalent.

Post one with the damage too. Is it beyond hope like half the length broken off or something?

Jim

6. cookthis2012

cookthis2012

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Damage consists of a very severe chip to the hilt it is not fatal to the knife but he has done so much for the kitchen we figured we would get him a nice birthday present as soon as I get some better images I will ask you guys again

7. boar_d_laze

boar_d_laze

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    • What's your budget?
    • Can we trust him to use a heavy duty knife from now on for heavy duty tasks so we can recommend something thin, light and agile? 
    • Do you want pure performance and bang for the buck?  Or do you want a prestige name as well? 
    • Carbon?  Semi-Stainless?  Or, Stainless?
    • Wa or yo handle?
    BDL

8. cookthis2012

cookthis2012

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2012