Looking for a Gyuto

Discussion in 'Cooking Knife Reviews' started by redcomet219, Dec 25, 2015.

1. redcomet219

redcomet219

Exp:
    At home cook
    Hi everyone!

I've been a longtime reader at the forum but this is my first post. I'm interested in getting a quality Gyuto but there are just so many options out there. I've done some research and so far this is what I know:

Length

210-240mm (It looks like 240 is the way to go)

Blade

I am new to sharpening, but I am also worried about the knife rusting. I think stainless steel?

Symmetry

I'm a lefty so a Symmetric blade would be preffered.

Handle

Wa Style

Use

I am looking for an all purpose knife. Something for chopping, filleting, sushi cutting, and garnish detail work.

Price

$175 - $275

All in all I am looking for a high quality knife that I can take care of and hone my cooking skills with. Aesthetically - I really like the traditional Japanese looking Gyutos. I'm intrigued by the one's with hammering on the top of the knife but wondering how that affects cuts?

I'm not very good at following the technical stuff such as hardness / layering / etc. Really just looking for someone to help point me towards a few well received options that meet at least  some of the above criteria.

I really appreciate any feedback you guys have!

John

2. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Hammering is just cosmetic, it doesn't affect performance. 

This is out of stock, but they come in stock pretty often.  Call Jon about details.  I vaguely remember the next shipment coming in early January.

http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com...oducts/gesshin-uraku-240mm-stainless-wa-gyuto

Not too thick or thin, not too soft or hard for beginners.  Stainless, wa handle,  free shipping,  and you can ask Jon to sharpen it before shipping.  Kind of checks off all your boxes I think.  If you have extra money, spend it on sharpening stones.

3. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2015
  4. redcomet219

redcomet219

Exp:
    At home cook
    Thanks guys. I was also taking a look at Miyabi. Any experience with their knives? Also any good hammered options :)

5. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Look at Jon's Gonbei for the hammered look.  Not a lightweight though not as rugged as the Uraku, but I take it you already have a beater knife.

Rick

6. redcomet219

redcomet219

Exp:
    At home cook
    Thanks Rick,

I like the Itinomonn based on what I've read, but the knife just doesn't have much character. The more I look, the more I really like knives with kurouchi finishes. From what I have seen kurouchi and stainless steel are mutually exclusive to one another.

Is it a lot of work to care for a carbon/steel knife? I've never had one before, but since I don't know how to sharpen either it might be worth looking into?

7. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    There are a few notable exceptions. Kochi at JKI and Wakui from various vendors are stainless kurouchi.

Also Japanesechefsknife has a new line stainless kurouchi clad aogami super

8. redcomet219

redcomet219

Exp:
    At home cook
    Thanks again to both of you for your help and patience. After a day of intense research I think I've got my preferences straight. At this point I'm looking for:

Basics:   240mm Stainless Steel Gyuto

Edge:     50/50 edge

Finish:    Damascus with Hammered Finish 

Handle:  Wa Handle (preferably Ambidextrous)

Usage:   Chopping Vegetables, Cutting Meat, Filleting, Nigiri

Price:     $175 - $299

Any further suggestions would be more than appreciated!

9. bonesetter

bonesetter

Exp:
    At home cook
    That sounds to me like a Gonbei 

10. redcomet219

redcomet219

Exp:
    At home cook
    How does the Gonbei Stack up to these two from Yoshihiro (I can't find blade width or weight specs for either Yoshihiro knife):

46 Layer Gyuto

33 Layer Gyuto

11. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    it's a different steel for one.   I prefer sharpening swedish stainless over vg-10

12. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    You especially don't want to be struggling with VG-10 if you are a novice sharpener, and aside from that Swedish stainless is an all around better performer.

Rick

13. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I am not sure which one is used in the Gonbei, Jon does not specify on the website, but most likely one of the 3, possibly 12C27 also.  The Kanetsune is very similar in appearance, likely the same maker, and I've seen it advertised as 19C27.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2015
  14. redcomet219

redcomet219

Exp:
    At home cook
    Jon's stuff seems to come highly recommended so I just put in a request with him to talk about the Gonbei a little bit. Hopefully he can get it in stock soon! I'll let you guys know how it goes.

In case its difficult for Jon to get a Gonbei in stock soon, what do you guys think of these alternatives:

TAKAYUKI - http://www.chefknivestogo.com/satadagy240.html (Almost exactly like the Gonbei)

KUROSAKI MEGUMI - http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kumegy24.html (I know this is VG 10 - but I've read reviews about it being an easier knife to sharpen)

Megumi looks like the blade is 3mm - while the Gonbei and Takayuki are 2mm. Does this affect cuts by a lot. Also the Megumi seems to be heavier. 

Last edited: Dec 28, 2015
  15. kognqk

kognqk

Exp:
    Professional Chef
  16. redcomet219

redcomet219

Exp:
    At home cook
    Thanks to everyone for helping me in this process! There are so many options that it is really difficult to decide. I probably spent hours overthinking it all. I finally decided and placed my order so I wanted to fill you guys in.

I was interested in getting the Gonbei based on the credit everyone was giving to Jon at JKI. Unfortunately, I reached out to Jon about three days ago, and received no response. Also most of his knives are listed as out of stock.

Since that didn't work out I went with the 210mm Kurosaki Megumi. It is a little thicker of a blade, but something kept bringing me back to it. The Kurosaki has excellent reviews, and rather than muck it up trying to sharpen it on my own, I'm having the dealer sharpen it before they send it to me (I'll practice sharpening on the budget knives I use at home now).

I'm very excited about having pulled the trigger and now I'm studying up on proper knife care and chopping skills as I have only ever worked with western style rock cutting chef knives.

17. kevin lin

kevin lin

Exp:
    At home cook
    JKI is closed for about 2 weeks starting on Christmas.

Someone mentioned that Jon will be getting another shipment of knives in January.

18. redcomet219

redcomet219

Exp:
    At home cook
    Now it makes sense. Maybe next time around I'll check out JKI!

19. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    OK your on your way!  One thing you ought to do right away upon receiving your new knife is to round that point at the heel, they are deadly to hands, and occaisionally other parts of your body.  Just a small radius will do.  I for the life of me can't imagine why some makers think it's cool to have them, maybe they're just sadists.

Rick

Last edited: Dec 30, 2015
  20. redcomet219

redcomet219

Exp:
    At home cook
    Thanks for the tip! What is the best way to go about it?