Looking for a good southern cookbook

Discussion in 'Cookbook Reviews' started by nicko, Apr 30, 2010.

1. nicko

nicko Founder of Cheftalk.com Staff Member

Exp:
    Former Chef
     Looking for a gift for a friend who is moving to South Carolina and wants to learn more about southern cooking. I would appreciate any suggestions.

2. kyheirloomer

kyheirloomer

Exp:
    Food Writer
    There are so many good ones, Nicko, it's hard to choose. But here's a selection.

Anything with Edna Lewis' name on it, but in particular The Taste of Country Cooking.

Art Smith's, Kitchen Life: Real Food for Real Families, which we recently reviewed.

Many of James Villas' titles, but especially My Mother's Southern Kitchen, The Glory of Southern Cooking, and his brand new, Pig: King of the Southern Table.   

And, for a great look at the culture of Southern food, Joe Dabney's wonderful Smokehouse Ham, Spoon Bread, & Scuppernong Wine.

For a look at what happens when a Southern food background runs into form training at a French culinary school, have them check out Virginia Willis' Bon Appetit, Y'all.

3. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I've found very good results from Damon Lee Fowler's various books,  especially his Classic Southern Cooking. His work has shaped my Southern style cooking more than anyone else I can point to.

Recently, Real Cajun by Donald Link has taken a high spot for the Louisiana food.

I wasn't impressed with Villas' Glory of Southern Cooking just to contradict KYH, though it seems I gave it better comments after reading it initially than I currently remember it. http://www.cheftalk.com/forum/thread/49075/review-of-the-glory-of-southern-cooking-by-james-villas

Last edited: Apr 30, 2010
  4. halmstad

halmstad

Exp:
    Line Cook
    "the heritage of southern cooking" by camille glenn is a very good book, especially for someone just moving to the south. it has all of the standards of southern cooking along with a lot of history and stories about the food. 550 recipes of classic southern cuisine.