Looking for a good fairly cheap pearing knife

Joined Sep 9, 2015
Hi. I'm looking for a good fairly cheap pearing knife. I have a henckels set and would like to start vearing off forms basic set. Please comment any knife you think would best suited for a medium price range I'm open to anything

Joined May 29, 2013
In a commercial environment, paring knives wear down so fast that many simply don't get anything more than a basic Victorinox fibrox handled paring knife, either spear point or sheepsfoot depends on how the user feels like it.

Much more important is the length of the blade.  Having a blade which is just about the length of the index finger makes such a blade's feel to be about the same as a "replacement" of the index finger.  

Some, however, like longer blades.  In that case, a "petty" might be appropriate.

However, no matter what length, keeping the edge sharp is as important (if not more so) than the individual brand.  More sharpenings will thin a paring knife more rapidly - and cause it to need to be replaced more quickly.

Galley Swiller

Joined Jul 13, 2012
The paring knife is where Shun got it right.  The 4" parer has great geometry, takes a very keen edge and has great retention.  That said keeping sharp is where it gets sticky.  How do you maintain your knives now?

Joined Jun 16, 2015
One more vote for the Vic. Cheap enough to have more than one and first class quality and steel for the job at hand.

Joined Jul 13, 2012
I find it difficult to "turn" with a petty.  My turning knife is a Tojiro wa-birds beak with a custom handle I made.  My go to parer is a Del Ealy new style in AEB-L and my second is a HHH wharncliffe parer also in AEB-L.  I'll never part with those.

Joined Oct 13, 2015
Hi. I'm looking for a good fairly cheap pearing knife. I have a henckels set and would like to start vearing off forms basic set. Please comment any knife you think would best suited for a medium price range I'm open to anything
I

Latest posts

Top Bottom