Looking for a Europian "kabab" recipe.

Joined Mar 24, 2002
The "kabab" i'm looking for is the run of the mill one you can pick up from cornor vendors after a night of drinking. =)

Thanks,
David

Joined Mar 24, 2002
Hi Marmalady,

I am really not sure on the contents. :(

I know it is in a pita and contains beef and lamb in small to medium bits (almost ground but not quite). I do not remember a yogurt sauce but do remember a yummy curry based sauce (more red in colour like red pepper then the yellowish curry sauce but without a doubt a curry sauce).

This kabab is not something you would find in a resturant as it's too "fast food". You can find the small shops and vendors in all of the big cities I have visited in Western Europe (Germany, Netherlands, France, etc.). They will be found in little shops that sell quick "hand" foods you can eat on the go, while walking.

I hope to get a recipe next time i'm in Europe but have been craving them since August (the last time I was over there). :)

Thanks,
David

Joined May 26, 2001
Do you mean something like:
Turkish Doner kebab (Please no "Donner party" jokes this time, okay everyone?) and/or
Israel/Lebanese/Syrian Shawarma and/or
what's sold in "Greek" restaurants here as Gyro?

That is, the seasoned meat packed onto a vertical spit, grilled as it rotates, and sliced off for sandwiches?

If that's what you mean, that's hard, since it's something you need the equipment for.

Joined Mar 24, 2002
Hmmm.. I know it's not a Gyro (but they are yummy) and Doner Kebab sounds right (I have no idea what a Shawarma is).

Thanks,
Dave

Joined May 26, 2001
They're all related; maybe what you had is a version of Doner Kebab, yeah. So your question is sort of like asking, what's the recipe for a McDonald's hamburger. Not in the sense of cheap branded junk, but as an omnipresent fast food. Wherever Turks have migrated to, you'll find Doner Kebab -- and it's taken off as one of the most popular fast foods in Europe, especially Germany*. My guess is that the sauce you had is a local favorite (from having curry sauce with German wursts).

None of this solves your problem, though. The next time I'm near a place that has Doner Kebab, I'll have to try it and figure it out. I know, it's a tough job, but somebody's got to do it.;)

* surprise: the Germans hated it when the Turkish "guest workers" arrived, but loved the food they brought!

Joined Mar 24, 2002
Thanks for your response Suzanne!

When I posed the question I didn't think about it being a typical fast food recipe. I recently had a Turkish Doner Kebab and although fantastic it just wasn't quite what I was looking for. I think you're are right on in saying it was the local sauce that made the taste. Looks like i'm just going to have to do some more traveling until I find the taste again and then bribe the person into giving me the recipe. =)

Did you have to mention curry sauce w/wursts? Now i'm salivating!! =)

Dave

Joined Apr 23, 2002
Well if that´s so I´ll go to the nearest Dönerbude and have a Currywurst on you! :lips:

I doubt you´ll find a Döner Kebab with the same sauce as used with Currywurst somewhere in Germany. You hardly ever do find any "real" Currywurst anymore in Germany; They´re just different sorts of sausages with some sort of mildly spicy ketchup and some curry powder spread on them.

I suppose you did have yoghourt sauce on it AND some red chily based powder often used in those Döner shops. I don´t know exactly the contents of this powder but I´ll ask the turkish lady that runs the little vegetable shop just around the corner.

Armand

Top Bottom