Looking for a different venison steak marinade

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by fleshy, Jan 14, 2006.

1. fleshy

fleshy

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I was hoping someone had some neat ideas for a venison steak marinade? I'm planning on grilling some up tonight and I would like to do something a little fancier.

Any tips on keeping the venison the tasitiest appreciated.

2. jonk

jonk

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Here's our favorite red meat marinade. We've used it on venison as well as beef. As I'm sure you know, because venison is so lean, cooking it much past medium rare can produce a dry, tough steak.

We sear the steak over a hot fire, then move it to cooler section of the grill to finish cooking.

1/2 cup packed brown sugar
    3 garlic cloves, mashed with
    1-1/2 tsp salt
    3 Tbsp Dijon or other prepared mustard

1 tbsp soy sauce (or ¼ tsp MSG)
    1/4 cup cider vinegar
    3 Tbsp lemon juice
    6 Tbsp olive oil

Wisk together all ingredients. Place meat in zip-lock bag. Add marinade and seal, pressing out air. Refrigerate for up to 24 hours, turning occasionally. Discard marinade. Grill over direct heat. This recipe will marinate up to three pounds of meat using the plastic bag technique. Recipe can be halved for smaller amounts of meat.

Health note: The presence of acids (e.g., vinegar and lemon juice) dramatically reduces the level of surface carcinogens produced on grilling based on a study at Lawrence Livermore laboratories. This applies to any acidic marinade.

3. fleshy

fleshy

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Thanks for the quick reply, and the tips on technique. I'm whipping up the marinade right now, and plan on throwing the steaks on the grill at around 8:00 tonight. I'll let you know how it works out :)

Fleshy