Looking for a cheap culinary program/ course

Discussion in 'Choosing A Culinary School' started by reynaldo, Jun 16, 2014.

1. reynaldo

reynaldo

Exp:
    Other
    Hello everyone,

I am from Dominican Republic, I am looking for a 1 year Culinary course (approx.) to become a chef, I have been looking for a cheap culinary school outside USA and it seems my search would never stop, Anyone know any cheap culinary school 4-5,000 dollars per year? Do you know any international organization that helps international culinary students?

Thanks

2. chefbuba

chefbuba

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    One year of culinary school does not make one a chef. Cooking is a trade, just like being a plumber, electrician, carpenter, etc. 

A lot of these guys will attend a trade school, then work first as an apprentice, then onto journeyman and at the top, master. It takes years to make it to the top, same with cooking.

3. reynaldo

reynaldo

Exp:
    Other
    Thanks a lot chefbuba,

Unfortunatelly in my country we don't have any good culinary school, I don't know any proffessional school nor any apprenticeship.

What would you suggest me to do?

Do you know any cheap trade school?

I'd like to hear more from you, thank you again.

4. greenranger

greenranger

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    The cheapest/best is definitely schoolcraft college in Michigan, their program is amazing.. and I am not 100% sure as of now but had 3 Master chefs working their back when I went to culinary school (I did not attend the school, but worked with alot who did)  I went to a Le Cordon Bleu school, which was a waste of time and money.  Schoolcraft college in Michigan is a community college school so it is definitely cheap.. less then $15,000 total for a world class education. 

5. reynaldo

reynaldo

Exp:
    Other
    Thanks a lot Greenranger, but unfortunatelly I can't study in the USA because of their immigration laws.

I know community colleges are cheaper and even better than those big culinary institutes, I'm going to start searching for community colleges in Canada and also in the UK.

If anyone has any advice it'd be very welcome, anyways thank you for your suggestion.

6. grande

grande

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    Do you already cook proffesionally? Many chef's don't go to school at all and just work their way up.

7. pollopicu

pollopicu

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Why do people take the phrase "I want to become a chef" so literally? No one is going to say they're going to school to become a cook. I think it's safe to assume that when a person inquires about wanting to go to school to learn how to cook, they're "aspiring" to someday be a chef.. An aspiring Dr. doesn't say "I want to go to medical school to become a medical student"....

Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
  8. someday

someday

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    +1

Getting tiring around here reading that same pat response to every poster who comes in and uses the word chef. Most people who attend culinary school understand that it is the beginning, not the finishing point. The ones who fail to grasp that concept usually don't last long.