Looking for 300mm Chef's knife

Discussion in 'Cooking Knife Reviews' started by atatax, Feb 5, 2015.

1. atatax

atatax

Exp:
    Line Cook
    So right now my Chef's knife is a 8" Wusthof grand prix ii and i want to replace with with a better, larger, Chef's knife. I prefer european styled handles and my hand is rather large, laying my hand on a tape measure, the palm width is about 4 3/4 in. My budget while not set in stone is about $300-$350(usd and i am in the USA). I feel like much higher then that and i would probably be too afraid to use it :p

So Knives i'm currently looking at are:

Masamoto VG Gyuto 300mm

Mac Ult 12 1/2  Chef's knife

Mac Pro 10 3/4 Chef's knife

Fujiwara Teruyasu 300mm Gyuto Maboroshi

So the Mac Ult and Fujiwara Teruyasu where i'm seeing them are a little over budget, but maybe there are deals somewhere for them or if there is a reputable used knife retailer. Maybe I'm just dreaming a little with the Fujiwara Teruyasu as it is a bit over budget. The Mac Pro is a little shorter then i would prefer and i don't see a longer pro series chef knife. The Masamoto VG is right in the budget and length but i have read its a bit flexible and can be punishing if your technique isn't the best, so probably not the best first large chef knife. Any advice?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  2. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I have the Mac Pro 10 3/4 Chef's knife and love it. Have had it for 2 years now and use it for 97% (or better) of my work. I don't have a tape measure handy (on vacation) but it sounds like my hands are close to yours in size.

3. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
  4. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    270mm is a good size.  300mm is unwieldy. 

If you're getting something this big, it is for massive amounts of prep right? I would say get the lightest thinnest 270mm you can get.  The weight and the time you spend working don't just add, they multiply.  Konosuke, gesshin ginga, or other laser 270mm.

5. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I did a couple of 12" American carbon conversions a few years ago and while being quite nimble with wa handles they were just too much knife to be practical for home use.  I moved down to 270mm and used those for quite a while.  Now a 240mm, or 10" is my go to knife for prep work.  For smaller tasks I use a 150mm petty, or a 210mm line knife, or a cleaver, or any other "special purpose" blades I have on hand.

300mm is generally for Yanagiba and Sujihiki.  

I would buy this and rehandle it - I have one that I did and it's not for sale.  Amazing profile, great steel, great American maker.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fine-Vintag...789?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item540ae11fe5

Here's mine - I made the handle from flame maple and blue dyed maple burl.

6. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Yeah, but OP is a professional and probably does more prep work in a day than you do all week.  270mm is a reasonable size for that.  300mm is unnecessary because you should have a long slicer for slicing tasks.

7. atatax

atatax

Exp:
    Line Cook
    yeah, i have a Suji. So sounds like the consensus is that the Mac Pro should be more then long enough.

8. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Yes, but the difference between 270mm and 10" is 1/2" and that Goodell will cut rings around a lot of "modern" knives.  Hey - I'm a carbon junky what can I say?  Carbon Devin, carbon Rader, carbon Marko, carbon Carters, etc., etc., etc.

9. duckfat

duckfat

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I'd be paying as much attention to profile and intended use as length. 300mm for me is minimal on a yanagi but a beast on a Gyuto.  270mm for a Gyuto is going to be the norm in a working knife. Larger hands do not mean you need a larger knife. Sarah Moulton is about 5' nothing and probably weighs 100# on a bad day. She wields a 12" knife with ease. Gotta roll with what ever works best for you.

For 300mm I'd also look at the Yoshihiro (carbon) on Amazon ($160) or the Tojiro DP ($120) on eBay. This way if you find 300mm too much for all tasks you can still add the 9.5" Mac Pro for less than the cost of the Masamoto alone.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
  10. atatax

atatax

Exp:
    Line Cook
  11. atatax

atatax

Exp:
    Line Cook
    If i was to get a carbon knife, is there really an advantage to getting a vintage sabatier or goodell over a modern carbon knife like the Yoshihiro on amazon for $160?

12. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    It'd be soft carbon so you can use a honing steel, but overall edge retention is not as good.

13. atatax

atatax

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Ended up just going with the mac pro 270mm; saw it new on ebay for $210

14. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I have used a few chef's knives in 40 years and this my favorite so far.

15. atatax

atatax

Exp:
    Line Cook
    for maintenance, i assume a quick daily hone and then maybe a weekly sharpening with water stones?

also, not crazy about the logo on the knife, looks like imitation american imo. But i guess if it performs well i can live with the logo.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
  16. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    No hone, just once a week on stones. In general, this seems to be what I routinely do for maintenance purposes during normal weeks.

17. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Our vanished knife guru BDL recommended the Mac Pro over the Masamoto VG and best choice as far as mid-priced stainless gyutos go.

Whether you need to do touch up during the week or not will depend on how acute and angle you sharpen to.  I'd guess that if you are below 36deg inclusive then probably yes, in which case an Idahone can be used if you think Stropping on stones inconvenient.   It will remove a small amount of metal as well as realign the edge, use it gently both for the sake of the Idahone and your new Japanese knife.  I use a fine Arkansas stone with one edge rounded a bit, pressure is nothing more than the weight of the knife.

Rick

18. ajb temple

ajb temple

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    For pro prep I would be be surprised if you can go a week without a a touch up. I would keep a 5000 splash and go stone to hand and give it a few strokes as required.  Personally I think most honing rods do more harm than good - I do use a smooth steel one on my German knives occasionally, but they are pretty much what I regard as guest knives now.  

19. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    This is where a couple of Shapton glass stones is handy.  They are very flat and true splash and go.

20. atatax

atatax

Exp:
    Line Cook
    how often are you guys thinking? every other day? daily?