Looking for 270mm wa gyuto

Joined Aug 6, 2015
I wouldn't necessarily get hung up on one steel. Everything mentioned so far is in a good hardness range. If you have a knife that is ground really well and goes through food like nothing, and there is lighter board contact, might that edge last comparably to a knife ground differently but made with a more wear resistant steel? Not to mention microbevels help quite a bit.

Joined May 9, 2016
I do understand that steel is just one part of the equation, and that my budget limit me somewhat. I have learned a lot just in this forum, I guess is not vendor specific. I knew there was more out there, and I want to know it all. I'm that kind of person. I really have not experienced any entry level high end knives, just the kohetsu hap40 that I had try run from one of my buddies. That thing is incredible, but not without cons. A 270 will take me 50 above my budget, which is 110 over my most expensive knife.

I really haven't much time but just to glance at the sites and knives recommended but I appreciate your knowledge. So far the kohetsu ad still my first choice but I'm really intrigued by uraku but there is very little info on this one. Some of the other knives sugested I would say they are better but over budget

Last edited:
Joined Aug 6, 2015
I think the Tanaka Nashiji line is going to be made using VG-10 core steel going forwards.

Last edited:
Joined Jul 13, 2012
True, but Shigeki's heat treat is so spot on I don't fore see problems with it.  Here's another option and I had one of these a couple of years ago and it's a nice knife.

Joined May 9, 2016
That's an incredible deal on that Yoshihiro. Is on my top 3 list along with the kohetsu and the uraku.

Thanks again guys to show me more options that what I bargain for. Is incredibly busy these days and very little time to search for a knife.

Top Bottom