Looking for 240mm Gyuto and other

Joined Sep 30, 2019
Hello,

That is my first forum post, so I would like to say hello.

I am looking for 240mm Gyuto for "everyday use". I would be using it 5 days a week up to once (to prepare a meal) and 2 days a week up to three times (to prepare meals). I would be interested in some kind of carbon still, Japanese knife I would be able maintain by myself.

Currently I have:
Ton of small Victorinox knifes
Victorinox bread knife
Victorinox 6.8006.19L8B
Kohetsu AG 165mm Nakiri

Could you recommend me something.

Apart for that I would need to buy stones to sharpen knifes and some kind of material to lean it (unless normal kitchen towel is enough). I would be happy if you could recommend me something.

Joined Nov 18, 2010
Welcome aboard, Michał!
Are you right-handed? Would you be fine with a Western handle?

Joined Nov 18, 2010
You may consider a Misono Swedish Carbon or a Fujiwara Kanefusa FKH with japanesechefsknife.com
Both have a Western handle and are
quite middle of the road.
Very easy sharpening. The Misono has the finest grained steel, the FKH a bit coarser, adding some bite.
Misono has a splendid Fit&Finish at this price point, FKH is more basic, but still OK. Tip on Misono is a spear point, FKH tip is lower as common with Japanese chef's knives.
If you find it at an attractive price, the Masahiro Virgin Carbon is an interesting option as well. Basic in its F&F, the harder steel, though, with an even more pronounced asymmetry.

Joined Dec 23, 2004
If you want an octagonal handle and carbon steel check out Moritaka. Their knives are all Ao-Ko/Super Aogami and have beautiful octagonal handles.

Top Bottom