Longtime Lurker, Canadian Home Cook with a Passion for French Food

Joined Jul 15, 2020
Hi,
I'm a longtime lurker who finally decided to join! I'm a Canadian lawyer, who greatly enjoys cooking at home as a hobby. I learned to cook from my Czech grandmother as a child and by watching Food Network classics like Good Eats and Molto Mario with her after school growing. I have a passion for French, Italian, and Central European food. My culinary bibles include Thomas Keller's French Laundry and Bouchon Cookbooks, Paula Wolfert's The Cooking of Southwest France, The Babbo Cookbook, Anthony Bourdain's Les Halles Cookbook, Alton Brown's Good Eats cookbooks, and my grandmother's 1960s set of Time-Life's Foods of World cookbooks. There is nothing I love to cook more than French bistro and brasserie style cooking that uses classic techniques of refinement, but is unpretentious. I'm hoping to discuss my love of food with other who share my passion and to hopefully learn from professionals and more experienced home cooks those techniques and information that is difficult to learn from books or videos.
Cheers!

Joined Jul 15, 2020
Welcome! I assume you already know your fellow country-person Laura Calder...
I am familiar with her, but sadly not as well as I should be. Her show aired while I was in university and didn't have cable at the time. Sadly, Food Network Canada and Cooking Channel Canada are both even worse than the US versions right now. Our Cooking Channel is usually 8 hours straight right now of things like Carnival Eats and Guy's Big Bite. Now that Good Eats is back on the air, it at least gets some play. And because of the virtue monopolies of our telecom giants, Bell, Rogers, and Shaw, the streaming availability for back content is archaic to say the least.

Top Bottom