Longanisa Mexican sausage dish cooked undergound?

Discussion in 'Open Forum With Rick Bayless' started by bijoink, Jan 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bijoink

bijoink

Exp:
    Line Cook
    During Christmas time when i visit my grandma in Mexico in the northern part of Mexico near Moneterrey, my uncle makes this dish called longanisa? It is a spicy sausage type of dish. It has many spicy and sweet flavors. While the dish is being prepped a pit is dug and a fire is started in the pit. Once the prep is done it is lowered down the pit and is cooked in a big pot sealed.

Have you ever experienced anything like that? Or perhaps tried Longanisa? If so, what was your thoughts?

2. rick bayless

rick bayless

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Chorizo or longaniza (as a cheaper, often untied brother is called)… Little Oaxacan sausages tied in 1 ½ inch rounds are deliciously sweet and spicy. The Yucatecan sticks of longaniza from Valladolid are smoky and closer in appearance to pepperoni. The aging and drying process produces a firm, compact texture and mellower flavor. An alternative would be without a sausage stuffer, place the sausage in a colander, set in a bowl, cover and refrigerate for two days. Excess liquid will drip off or evaporate and the flavors will improve.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.