Long Term challenge?

Joined Nov 5, 2007
So the July 2020 Challenge theme is Italy. That encompasses a pretty broad culinary spectrum. And as @nicko pointed out, it is a short term challenge.

A significant sector of cuisine in Italy is salumi. Various types of salami, pepperoni, bresola, prosciutto and such. These are dried, fermented sausages that take some serious time to make. You might be able to get a passable bresola in, say, 3 weeks, as well as pancetta ( I hope to get one done in time for the challenge ) but your not going to see a three week old prosciutto happen. Well, at least not one worth the name, but I'd be willing to taste it

So what about a long term challenge? What about say, a 4 month charcuterie challenge? Any interest? How many would consider participating?

Now I'm not about to drop 3 or 4 grand into a fully digital, bluetooth, buzzword loaded home curing chamber, mind you, but still might be able to make some decent products in my basement with what I have on hand.

What about you?

mjb.

Joined Jan 8, 2010
Yep, been thinking about that too.
Charcuteria and fermentation, together or seperate.
Hopefully I can be more active in the challenges from next month on

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
Make the challenge time. Then you can include ferments like pickles, kraut, kimchee. perhaps. Then just let it percolate. Monthly credit to short term things like bacon. Quarterly for longer terms. Yearly for those long ferments.

Joined Nov 5, 2007
Okay, seems like there may be some support for such an idea. I'll be heading to work soon, will mull it over. And most likely post some sort of challenge when I get home in the morning.

mjb.

Joined Dec 18, 2010
Mull. That made me think of mulled wine. Which made me think of brewing and distilling. In, too, I hope!

Joined Sep 5, 2008
There is a pain d'épice au levain (sourdough kinda gingerbread but no ginger, only honey and flour in 1:1 ratio) recipe where the raw dough ferments for 12 months before cooking. I had some a few weeks ago, and it tasted absolutely fantastic. Imagine that. Using unpasteurized, raw honey and leaving the dough ferment at room temp for 12 months before cooking.

Top Bottom