london Connection Part Duex

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by rehab, Oct 16, 2003.

1. rehab

rehab

how goes it folks,

well its been a really stressful week trying to piece a future but i think this is it.

in order for this to work i've come to asking kitchens directly for an entry level position in the kitchens. simply put ... dishwasher or prep. I plan to enroll into westminster-kings program because they have a great reputation and receiving my education in their program will cost about 2/3 less then any culinary school here.

now to look for a job for the visa to go through! problem with the recruitment sites is that they're are mostly structured for management or chefs with formal qualifications and years of top notch kitchen work. i'm looking for entry level! yet to see dishwasher or prep on any job list. so this is what im asking of you london cats for.

phone numbers of some great kitchens.

p.s. here in the states dead times for kitchens are between 2 and 4 pm. does that apply to kitchens in london as well? what is the best time to phone kitchens for information.

2. leo r.

leo r.

ReHab,you`ve made an excellent choice with Westminster Kingsway College.
    "Dead times"-this varies greatly from one establishment to another.2-4 pm is a reasonably decent time to contact a chef in London.I`m not sure how much this would cost you but,i thought it may be more economical to use an alternative method.The last thing you want is to be put on hold!An e-mail or a letter may be more cost effective.

3. rehab

rehab

well there are these phone cards that are good for about three 20 minute conversations, not so bad for 10 bucks. may luck be on my side and no holds for too long.

i was thinking maybe i can offer to work full time for 2 or 3 weeks. free. i hoping that would give an employer some initiative to sponsor me. what do you think?

4. leo r.

leo r.

ReHab,do you mind if i make some enquiries on your behalf?Leo.

5. rehab

rehab

that would be greatly appreciated leo ...

when making enquiries be sure to mention the 2-3 weeks free and this email address: [email protected]

thank you very much

peace

rafa

6. mike

mike

Rehab,
    Look at www.TheCaterer.com online . They have a bit where you can get all types of jobs emailed to you. Take up Leos help. Gordon Ramsey ( top michelin chef) is hiring commis to sous at present as are the Savoy.
    You will find if you email me I can let you know whats available in London as im sure Leo will.
    I would suggest that you do either Westminster where you will also have to earn & work to support yourself OR get a trainee position in a great establishment like The Savoy , a lot of them might have accomodation thrown in. BUT DONT TRY BOTH. Youll burn out.

Good luck/

7. pmash

pmash

Happy New Year Rehab,

Did you ever make it to London. If so let us know. I am about to cross over the pond next month. Although I will be an hour north of London in the Cambridge + Peterborough area. Hope there is something for me there.

Patrick

8. mike

mike

Hambelton Hall in Rutland & the Pink Geranium in Cambridge are both michelin starred. But Cambridge has a host of restaurants at all levels & is a great place to live & work. Rutland is UKs smallest county & truly beautiful. It also has some interesting gastro pubs & hotels. Uppingham is where I used to live. Its a neat little town.

If you need any info let me know.

good luck

9. pmash

pmash

Thanks Mike,

Thanks for the input. I am looking forword to seeing the gastro pub. Hear a few things about them and think it would be a great experience. Wife and I are not sure which town we will be living in but we want to live near Alconbury - Winwick. Wife's job is by Alconbury and have heard that Winwick is a nice little town. Hardest part for me will be learning to drive on the left side of the road. Just hope I am not the cuase of an accident.

Anyway thanks again.

Patrick

10. mike

mike

No probs bro....guess your wife is at the USAF base at Alconbury then. Nearby there is a McDonalds shaped like a giant ufo...its a hoot. Alconbury is ok & near to Cambridge, contact me if you need further pointers.