Lollapoluza food

Joined Aug 11, 2000
I've been getting e-mails from Lollapoulza concert organizers about having sustainable farm food at the concert from noon=6pm on July 9th....Guys the last time I was at an all day concert was when Clapton was headlining, foghat, leonard skinner, sometime in the mid 70's. So, I have no clue as to what prices are at events....I heard last night beers are $7 each.
Think heat of July....hm.....they want a vegetarian menu....I told um it was the mid-west and we likes our meat. They project 15000-30000 concert goers.

I'm thinking wraps with black beans, salsa, veg
or chevre with crostini and capanota
or swiss chard roll ups with veg center....
possibly gazpacho, may be WAY too early for tomatoes
Gotta be local farm food.
I asked about refrigeration and didn't hear back on it.
So....I think we'll be slammed, I think it'll be hot, I think it's a good thing.....I think the above food may be way too fussy.
I asked about cooking permits....
We already ran the thread on Earth Day....so what do you think about doing concerts?

pete

Staff member
Joined Oct 7, 2001
Sounds like it could be fun, serious work, but fun!! I would stay away from Gazpacho and such though. Things like wraps (in all disguses), Falafels or other Pita filled Sandwiches, or skewers of some kind. 90% of the audience will be 15-25 with a few older ''kids'' trying to relive the first few Lalapollozas. They will be looking for something to ''grab-n-go'' as they bounce around from stage to stage.

Joined Oct 6, 2002
This years lollalapalooza will be geared towards your late teens to late twenties age group. Which means that your prices should vary. Also, price of the concert ticket indicates the price you can charge for food.
I went to the Vans Warped Tour last year and the average entree was $6.50, For burgers, pitas, gyro's etc.(a side order did not come with that price) with a $ 7.50 charge for beer at the beer garden. The Vans Warped Tour is geared towards young "extreme sportman" and "punks" which translates lower income. The ticket for this venu was $25.
On the other hand, concerts and similar all day events whith a ticket cost of $50 and above were able to get away with $10-12 on a burger WITH fries or a gyro AND a sald (side order included).
You probably see how much ticket prices are and charge acordingly.
And oh yeah....... Remember Woodstock 99'!!!
If you charge $250 a ticket and $10 for bottled water you might start a few riots and fires.

Joined Aug 11, 2000
This is local sustainable food.....I'd love to do falafel but there are no local chickpeas. Black beans yes, edamames yes, shrooms yes....I'll gather a list of ingrediants in the next few days....too early for corn or grilled corn would be great.
Woodstock...now there was a venue.

pete

Staff member
Joined Oct 7, 2001
I think a good price range would be from $4-8 a pop. It seems low compared with what they will be selling beer and water for (probably $4 for bottled water) but unless you come up with a some good ''hook'' to draw them in (other than just the sustainable agriculture ''hook'') it would be a tough sell above that $8 ceiling. Now, if you could get Perry Farrel, of Jane's Addiction (one of the headliners) to endorse the product then you could charge $20 a wrap and have a line 1/2 a mile long!!!:eek:

Joined Dec 12, 2000
How 'bout soft shell burritos with black bean salsa ??. OR, if you add lettuce you could have taco's as well. Even at $3 each, you're going to make some good coin.

Joined Aug 11, 2000
COLD black bean wraps....spicy black beans in a horseradish, honey, mustard dressing with finely shredded cabbage in a flour tortilla....made fresh with 6 guys in my 10x10' space. Yippy
probably $5-7.....I'll run it by my 20 year old.

Top Bottom