Locating nutrients in Broccoli ?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by berndy, Apr 26, 2014.

1. berndy

berndy

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    It is said that broccoli is very good for you. Where are the most nutrients ? In the florets only ? Or in the stems too ?

2. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    You're using a loaded term, nutrients. Nutrients encompass a wide range of things: fiber, flavinoids, tocophenols and so on, not just vitamins and minerals. 

The stems are more fibrous, and fiber is an in important nutrient many people lack. Flowers get a lot of the plants energy and have a wide range of chemicals. Some are good for us, some aren't. Broccoli carries a fair amount of sulphur compounds. 

So what do you mean by nutrients?  Personally, I prefer the stems to the florets as far as flavor and texture go. It's one reason I like gai lan so much.

3. berndy

berndy

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    by nutrient in broccoli I mean the "stuff" that makes it better than other vegetables. Is there more in the flower or in the stem?

4. ordo

ordo

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Oh, please, reread Patch's reply.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
  5. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Thats like asking which is more useful, your arms or your legs? It's all good just eat it ad don't think about it too much. Don't overcook it.

6. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Try googling your question, Berndy, and I used to teach nutrition as part of my Health Science Class.

7. genemachine

genemachine

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Going full biochemistry PhD nitpicking mode here, but fiber is not a nutrient as such, since it is not digested and used. Important, though, so you are technically right :)

8. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Insoluble fiber more or less wipes "clean" the interior of the digestive tract.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
  9. genemachine

genemachine

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Didn't say I had no use - just technical nitpicking. If it ain't digested, it ain't no nutrient. The value of fibre for gastrointestinal health is clear, as you say.

10. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    If I correctly recall from my days of teaching, the two foods having the widest range of nutrients (drum roll, please) are broccoli and mackerel.

11. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    The Nutrition Panel for food in the US includes a spot for Dietary Fiber measured in grams under the Carbohydrates category.

Thus my thinking on fiber as a nutrient.

12. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    To me a nutrient is a substance needed by the human body that it cannot manufacture on its own.

13. genemachine

genemachine

Exp:
    Home Cook
    A bit problematic, to me. I mean, the body can manufactury the non-essential amino acids and fatty acids, for example, but it still appreciates getting them with the food. Anyway, my post above was really just nitpicking for the sake of it... /img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif