Lobster - The T-bone steak of the sea

Joined Dec 1, 2015
I am coming to the opinion that cooking whole lobster is as big a mistake as cooking T-bones/porterhouse.

Namely, that the separate parts - whether claws/tail/body or strip portion/tenderloin portion - require different cooking methods to get the best result. I've never really been happy with whole steamed lobster just as I'm rarely happy with a T-bone.

I may go permanently to splitting up the whole lobster and timing everything separately.

Joined Mar 1, 2017
Hi rpooley

When steaming the lobster, what problems are you having? Can you give some details about the method you use?

Joined Dec 1, 2015
sgsvirgil sgsvirgil Just standard knife in the head and then steam about 10 minutes. It's not bad but you can tell that all the meats are at different degrees of doneness.

Joined Mar 1, 2017
Are you experiencing different levels of doneness in the tails? If so, make sure the tails are straight and not curled when the lobsters are steamed. You can do this by running a wooden skewer through the tail between the shell and the meat. The skewer does not have to be through the center. I find that its easiest to run the skewer between the meat and the underside of the shell.

Also, make sure you are not over crowding the pot. There should be enough room between the lobsters to allow the steam to circulate.

Use only about 2 inches of well salted water. It should be as salty as the ocean.

Most importantly, make sure you turn the lobsters about halfway through steaming. This will help ensure an even cook.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

Cheers!

Joined Dec 18, 2010
In New England we never knifed their head. Just throw onto pot.

Some folks both knife their lobster and crack the claw before cooking, I hear.

Jin

Joined Jan 6, 2018
I am coming to the opinion that cooking whole lobster is as big a mistake as cooking T-bones/porterhouse.

Namely, that the separate parts - whether claws/tail/body or strip portion/tenderloin portion - require different cooking methods to get the best result. I've never really been happy with whole steamed lobster just as I'm rarely happy with a T-bone.

I may go permanently to splitting up the whole lobster and timing everything separately.

What if you were to poach the whole lobster around 110F in butter?

Joined Dec 1, 2015
J Jin That would be a lot of butter...

capecodchef capecodchef I thought it had a cleaner taste. I read it had to do with removing the hemolymph before cooking but now can’t find the website.

Joined May 5, 2010
Interesting thread. I never thought twice about this.

I had a portable propane stove with a 10 gallon stock pot filled halfway with water. Added a halved lemon, lots of salt, parsley sprigs and a halved onion to the water. When simmering, I added the live lobsters to the pot. 13 minutes later out they came. I had problems with the claw meat sticking to the shell, because they were under cooked.
If I broiled them, they were simply cut in half, guts scraped out, melted butter s/p and under the broiler they go.

Joined Dec 1, 2015
It just always seemed to me that the tail should be cooked more like it's smaller shrimp cousin - gently and not very long - while the claws and body seemed to need longer. There's even many recipes that call for removing claws and cooking for longer than the tails.

Joined Sep 21, 2001
I like butchering the lobster alive and cooking the claws separately.
My good friend Chef Gary used to say "I've lived a good life. My only fear when I die is that I end up at the Pearly Gates and St. Peter is a giant lobster'.

Top Bottom