Lobster tails served in shell

Joined Dec 20, 2021
Hi,

just wondering if anyone can help. I did some work in a very high end kitchen a while back, they were serving cooked lobster tails back in the shells but kind turned from the natural position to give a nice presentation. Does anyone know the name of this technique / presentation so I can look it up properly before talking about it in work?

thank you!

Joined Oct 22, 2010
Hi,

just wondering if anyone can help. I did some work in a very high end kitchen a while back, they were serving cooked lobster tails back in the shells but kind turned from the natural position to give a nice presentation. Does anyone know the name of this technique / presentation so I can look it up properly before talking about it in work?

thank you!
I'm not sure you're adequately describing whatever it is. Post a picture. Generally tails are either split up the middle and broiled or the meat removed mixed with ingredients and then put back in the shell like devilled eggs and cooked.

Joined May 5, 2010
I don't believe there is a name for the technique. That is, if you are describing the process where a scissors or knife are used to cut through the tail and the meat is pulled 3/4 of the way out of the shell and laid back on top.

Joined Dec 18, 2010
ChefRoss described a very common technique, which doesn’t seem to have a name oddly enough. Butterflied is a less common approach. Split is another technique, which might have the meat mixed and filled or not.

Joined Jan 9, 2019
I've had/made lobster thermidor with upright split shell in the past..it's been a while though.
Actually, the very first time I had it was at a French restaurant & it was prepared at the table.

Joined Dec 23, 2004
I guess I don't know a better term for it but I just realized this will be the first time in decades that I won't be working NYE! :emoji_fearful: :emoji_cry::rofl:

Joined Nov 9, 2020
Probably butterflying - we used to do that, pull the finished tail, "pop" the top of the tail shell in half, pull the meat, crack the tail shell back, reverse the meat, and reset in the shell... It's faster and more automatic than explaining it... Very pretty display. One chef I worked for actually had us shear both side of the "split" to expose more of the tail...

Lonster tail is fun, play with them until you find the presentation you like.

Top Bottom