lobster stock?

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by toddlove8845, Oct 12, 2005.

1. toddlove8845

toddlove8845

when making lobster stock do you prefer to roast the heads or just add them to to your stock?

2. dano1

dano1

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    i buy bodies(heads), pull out the insides, and use the insides almost exclusively. Will maybe save the carapaces for a bisque or other shellfish stock or soup app. saute off the inners in whole butter and proceed for the stock.

3. chef john

chef john

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I soak the heads in cold water for an hour, then roast them. I proceed with the stock as normal from that point. The flavor is slightly different than that of shells just boiled. I use the roast lobster stock for sauces and broths, and the boiled shell stock for soups.

4. foodpump

foodpump

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    I like to roast mine. I've worked in places that will "poach" lobster carcasses in butter, then toss the carcasses into a stock. The butter is used for a'la minute mounting of sauces and the like...

5. sucrechef

sucrechef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    We used to make it from sauteed shells flamed with Pernod and with shrimp shells in for extra flavor.

6. dpeitzsche

dpeitzsche

Exp:
    Line Cook
    I am going to be making lobster bisque.  Is it a good idea to start a lobster stock first?

7. rbandu

rbandu

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    It's essential.

8. dpeitzsche

dpeitzsche

Exp:
    Line Cook
    After I boiled off the lobsters I shelled them and then crushed them up and made a stock with veggies and liquid.

I strained it off a then reduced it by half.  It turned out great.  Rich in texture and flavour.

9. antuco

antuco

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    I am looking for a good recipe for lobster bisque please help

10. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I roast first, it intensifies the flavors. Don't over roast otherwise they will be bitter.

11. yourmontage87

yourmontage87

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I Order lobster bodies from the local fish market and boil the bodies using a mire poix. Strain then reduce.

12. chef bilby

chef bilby

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    +1 only we use Prawns Down here /img/vbsmilies/smilies/chef.gif

13. olechef

olechef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Depends on what I'm going to use it for. If the color doesn't matter, I don't roast. (the color tends to get a bit greenish grey without roasting)
    I allways boil it with white wine and fishstock, not water. Gives it more richness and body.

14. rpooley

rpooley

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I know this is an old thread but I like this idea for eliminating that color without resorting to too much tomato paste or other color/flavor.  Thanks.

15. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    When making lobster stock, I prefer to saute the shells first, as I feel this brings the vibrant color to the forefront and helps to set it.

16. rpooley

rpooley

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Thanks.  The taste is always good but I hate fussing with the color sometimes.

Oops, apologies.  I did a topic search and did not realize I was in a professional thread.  Hope the moderator doesn't kill me.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
  17. youngchefkarl

youngchefkarl

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    I believe this is the way Jacques Pepin showed me when he prepared his lobster sauce, I prefer this method but you can get similar results from roasting.

18. joel1

joel1

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I dont know in the US but over Europe there's a preparation called sauce a l'americaine (Pardon my French) which is a basically a shellfish stock + tomato and cognac reduced to thick paste (some like the Spanish add a pinch of saffron) which is commonly used to start any lobster bisque or whatever you have in mind.
    I believe that you'll need at least eight lobster's shell to get a decent 2liters lobster stock...  so if you make your maths it does sounds quite expensive, at least to my ears.

19. rpooley

rpooley

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Thanks.  Do you have a recipe (if it is much different from a typical sauce l'americaine that is)?

20. joel1

joel1

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I am sure you can google and find many but what I can is give you a rough idea of what I would do...
    roast about 300gr crustacean shells/heads with some peppercorns, star anise and fennel seeds in a smoking hot iron or heavy pot. Flambé that with Pernod/grand marniere or whatever brandy then transfer that to a separated bowI which I would cover with cling film to keep flavors inside and obtain some liquid about 20 minutes before I crush them.
    In the same pan I used before but at a medium low heat I would sweat down progressively 50gr onions, 50gr shallots, 10gr garlic, 100gr with 20gr olive oil and 30gr butter about 15min. At this point turn the gas to a high heat and add 150ml white wine, bring that to a boil, then you'll need to add 400gr tomatoes (skins/seeds off) let that cook for good 5mimutes and then add about 700ml fish stock/broth. Boil that up, skim off. Grind the heads and shells that you reserves in the bowl with a handmixer (keep the cling film wrapped as will save from cleaning the walls afterwords.... To follow, pour the shell's paste with the stock, bring to a boil, skim it off, reduce the heat and let that simmer about an hour, grind it with the handmixer again, pass it through a fine sieve.... Repeat boiling,skimming off.

This is for a small batch of you want to scale it up I would suggest to roast the crustacean in the oven

Hope it helps and sorry about my poor English

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk