Loaded with eggplant, what's a fast dish to use it in?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by rick alan, Aug 18, 2014.

1. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    An acquaintance gave us some eggplants from their garden.  I haven't cooked eggplant since I found myself putting 4:30 into a traditional mousaka recipe.

Aside from babaganoosh and excluding baked cheese which is not part of my diet these days (nothing to do with ulcers), what is a nice quick recipe for eggplant?

Rick

2. usta

usta

Exp:
    Cook At Home
  3. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Mualle is a great summer time dish. It is a Turkish eggplant and lentil stew with pomegranate molasses.

4. ordo

ordo

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Pickles, Italian way (oil, water- vinegar, etc.) Japanese way (with miso).. Tarts, quiches, 

5. chefross

chefross

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Copanata is a relish made from small dice eggplant sautéed with onions, zucchini and diced Roma tomatoes.

Lots of garlic, oregano and cayenne. It is similar to Ratatouille.

6. chrisbelgium

chrisbelgium

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Made with small eggplants; roast them in the oven (or fry them in a pan if they are very small), halved with some olive oil, s&p. Put on rice with a bell pepper sauce and cuts of turkey breast.

Parmigiana di melanzana; quite a lot of work too! I posted a recipe in the tomato challenge from last year. Nicko posted one too, recently.

My absolute favorite, eggplants with a tahini dressing; eggplants roasted in the oven (halved, brushed with olive oil, s&p) until done. Eggplants need to be done completely, absolutely no "al dente". I now make the tahini dressing a bit different but it's stunningly tasty and easy to make and... quite healthy.

Tahini dressing; whisk 1-2 tbsp of water with 1-2 tbsp. of tahini. It will curdle but keep on whisking until it gets right. Add 2-3 tbsp. of Greek yoghurt, s&p and at least 1 very finely chopped or crushed clove of garlic (remove the core from the garlic!). Add any kind of fresh herbs, a little zeste of lemon and a good squeeze of lemon juice. Absolutely delicious! Optional; dust with paprika powder. Can be eaten warm but cold is fantastic in summer.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
  7. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Rattattoui

8. ordo

ordo

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Now a see you have ulcers. Forget my recomendation on pickled eggplants please.

9. laurenlulu

laurenlulu

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I like to skin and hollow them out, bread and fry. Fill the boat with crab and shrimp dressing (or Mornay is good too) then broil for a crispy top

10. kaiquekuisine

kaiquekuisine

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Eggplant lasagna

Melanzana

Babaganush

11. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Eggplant caviar

12. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    No Ordo, I said, "nothing to do with ulcers."  It's another gut issue that simply requires cutting back on a few things for a while.  So for the moment no gobs of baked cheese, most carbs too except potatoes, less alchohol (that won't hurt me at all, my wine bill has been running a little high), vinegar too so no big pickled dishes.  Rice was my biggest offender, boy you know there are some great things you can do with rice and a little bone chicken stock.  That's the worst of it so no big deal really.  And Gosh! I immediately felt so much better right after starting this.

Thanks all for the suggestions so far.  Mualle would be high on the list except I have no desire for beans of lentils these days, I might try it with potatoes instead though, or just straight eggplant.  I have pomegranate vinegar on hand so I might substitute that and any needed tweeks for the pom-molasses.  But go ahead and tell me if I'm off the wall here cheflayne.

Parmigiana di melanzana looks right too, I might add the parmesan after baking though.  I can cheat on this diet but give me an inch and I might get grabby.

I will use some for a rattattoui/copanata, looking for something extra savory and I like the kick I've been getting from the oven-baked onion crisps I've made use of recently, good to try here I think.

You know maybe we're due for an eggplant challenge next.

Rick

Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
  13. ordo

ordo

Exp:
    Home Cook
    So, i misread. Sorry. This one is nice:

Tian d'aubergines

14. ordo

ordo

Exp:
    Home Cook
    And of course, a quiche:

Stuffed with ragú:

Sechuan style, sweet, spicy and sour:

15. ordo

ordo

Exp:
    Home Cook
    For a twist, fried with honey:

And in tempura with honey

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  16. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I've been meaning to try this recipe someday.

Szechwan eggplant in chili garlic sauce

(4 servings)

2 lbs eggplant
    3 Tbsp oil for frying
    2 whole dried chili peppers
    6 cloves garlic, minced
    2 scalions, chopped, incl green part
    1 tsp sesame oil

(I sometimes toss in some extra veggies
    if it's the only dish I'm cooking)

sauce:
    1 Tbsp Szechwan sweet bean sauce or ground bean sauce
    2 Tbsp black soy sauce
    2 tsp brown sugar
    1 Tbsp pale dry sherry
    1 tsp chili oil

Make 4 slashes around eggplant, about 1" deep.  Steam until soft.
    Cool.  Tear into thin strips lengthwise.  Discard some seeds.

Heat oil in wok.  Fry chili peppers until dark brown; discard.  Add
    garlic, scallions, brown slightly.  Add sauce mix, cook to bubble.
    Add eggplant.  Add sesame oil.

17. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    @ordo  I could eat those for dessert!

Which reminds me, my grand mother used to make aubergines confites... basically eggplants cooked in a simple syrup: 

18. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Why of course, Szechuan style.  I recall a dish that was very popular around here though I have not had it in perhaps 30 years or more.  I used to make it even, star anise was one of the ingredients.  I'd completely forgotten.

Rick

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  19. ordo

ordo

Exp:
    Home Cook
    In the classic Chinese book Dream of the Red Chamber, there's a famous recipe for braised eggplants. It's one of the most memorable scenes of the book. The poor Granny Liu taste the aubergines and can't believe they are aubergines at all. Then Wang Xifeng, her host, explains the recipe, that requires about 10 chickens to begin with.

"Lord Buddha! That's 10 chickens gone into the making of this. No wonder it tastes so good!" 

"You needed to harvest the aubergines at their peak in the fifth lunar month. The vegetables are skinned and cut into strips that are steamed over a pot of chicken stock. They are dried and the whole process repeated nine times until the essence of chicken has thoroughly soaked through the vegetable. Store them in tightly sealed jars and stir-fry them with slivers of meat from chicken drumsticks. "

You can find some attemps to reproduce the recipe in the web.

20. chicagoterry

chicagoterry

Exp:
    Home Cook