Liquors.......Ok which ones thrill you

Joined Aug 11, 2000
Hmmmmmm Framboise, Chambord, Grand Mariner,
even old Kaluha....which ones do you pour after a sumptious meal or sitting in front of the fire on a nippy evening.

Joined May 29, 1999
single malt scotch
aged taquilla
grappa
frambois
cognac
b&b
camboard
poir william
burbon on shaved ice

pete

Staff member
Joined Oct 7, 2001
Bourbon is my number 1 choice!!
Then there is (in no order):
calvados
B&B
cognac
creme de peche
and a homemade liquor that I make consisting of great dark rum, sugar and 1/3 of a vanilla bean. I let that then age for up to 6 months before I start drinking.

Joined Aug 11, 2000
Single malt scotch (my current favorites are Glenmorangie - both the 'straight' bottling and the one finished in port barrels)
Cognac (the best I can afford - which varies, regrettably).
All these are subject to the company I'm keeping at the time - like food, some things taste better depending on who you're sharing them with...

Joined Aug 11, 2000
Any special bourbons? My all time fav is Makers Mark.....it's the Memphis college days throw back.

isa

Joined Apr 4, 2000
I rarely drink liqueur. But once in a while after a big meal I really enjoy a creme de menthe.

For cooking I love Calvados, Poire William, Framboise and Grand Marnier.

Hic!

Sisi

pete

Staff member
Joined Oct 7, 2001
How could I have forgotten Port!? I love port!!! Latest purchase was a Dow's '83'. Very good, not exceptional. Also just drank a 1963 Dow's. It was great!! As for bourbons, I do like Maker's Mark but really love Blanton's and Basil Hayden's. Although I haven't found a high-end bourbon I didn't like. I am thinking about going down to KY next spring and doing a bourbon tour. Maybe even get over to TN to see Jack and George Dickel.

Joined Aug 11, 2000
Not too far off the subject...have you ever used bourbon barrels to smoke meat (pork particularly).....if so how was it?

pete

Staff member
Joined Oct 7, 2001
The only boubon barrels I have used for smoking are the jack Daniel's charcoal. Don't think that it gave it that much flavor. A better way to add that bourbon flavor is to soak your own chips in bourbon instead of water before you put them in the smoker. Also use bourbon in your marinade.

Joined Aug 11, 2000
AAAAAAAAAA what a way to use good bourbon
I gather you use a more reasonable variety than I do. I pretty much stick wiht Makers Mark for everything I do...apple crisp to sauces, but soaking wood chips noooo can't go there.

pete

Staff member
Joined Oct 7, 2001
LOL

No I use Jim or Jack for soaking wood chips (yes-I know Jack isn't a bourbon but close enough).

Joined Jan 15, 2000
Frangelico as a liqueur, but how about a good single malt scotch, or a port (even medium priced).

Joined Jul 31, 2000
I am also a lover of port
55/63/70/77 anything! and I'm in heaven
Althought Fonsceca would be my first choice with taylor a close second
smile.gif

nicko

Founder of Cheftalk.com
Staff member
Joined Oct 5, 2001
I have been a long time fan of ports ever since I became a chef. Being Greek though I have a place in my heart for Metaxa, seven star.

Joined Aug 23, 2000
Regarding Metaxa -- what's the difference between five star and seven star? Is it just the years/smoothness, like 12 year Glenlivet and 18?

kc

Joined Sep 27, 2000
A little Kahlua drizzled on Ben & Jerry's
White Russian ice cream
Homemade Frangelico ice cream
Bailey's Irish Cream cheesecake

Top Bottom