Liquid Smoke for BBQ sauce

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by athenaeus, May 26, 2002.

1. athenaeus

athenaeus

Exp:
    At home cook
    Nick asked me if you have heard about a liquid that suppose to be added in BBQ sauce in order to give a smoky taste to the sauce.
    Does such a thing exist?
    Is it safe for health?

TIA

2. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Athenaues,

It does excist, and it is very powerful!!!

A tiny bit goes a long way.

Personally, I am not a fan, but millions of others are

3. athenaeus

athenaeus

Exp:
    At home cook
    Thanks cape chef :)

4. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Your welcome, Athenaues.

But, just because i'm not a fan doesn't mean you and Nick should not give it a try. You may enjoy it..although I find it way overpowering and "fake" in it's flavor

5. chiffonade

chiffonade

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    To create a smoky flavor in BBQ sauce, some people use chipotle peppers (but they also have heat). Some people use bacon or smoked meat. Vegetarians who like smoky flavor, perhaps without the heat, would use Liquid Smoke in place of whatever smoky flavor a smoked meat would impart. It's not bad stuff, just a short cut.

6. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Liquid smoke is safe. And it is made from real smoke. It does taste different than the real thing and is very powerful. It can be better than nothing, but the real thing is better still. You can also find products like "smoked salt", usually just salt with a dried version of liquid smoke and some cocoa for color.

www.spicesetc sells a variety of smoke powders if you can't find liquid smoke in your area. Mesquite is popular in the southwestern styles and hickory is the classic smoke flavor.

Phil

7. athenaeus

athenaeus

Exp:
    At home cook
    Thanks guys :)

8. pinarello

pinarello

Hi just a note.
    I have used liquid smoke and it is real strong. In an american hotel chain in europe they secretly brought it in as I was told it is illegal in europe. I have no idea if this is true or not.
    Anyone else know more on that?

9. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I am not a big fan of liquid smoke, but do, on occasion use it. It helps with that BBQ craving in the middle of winter and the grill is buried under 4 feet of snow. It is usually an ingredient in bottled BBQ sauces. Though I like my BBQ sauce to have a slightly smoky taste, I usually accomplish this by smoking my veggies.

10. chrose

chrose

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Pete, Pete, Pete, I'm kind of surprised at you! You live in snow country so a trip out to the grill in the dead of winter should be second nature to you. What's 4' of snow compared to the scent of the BBQ on a cold winter day. The warmth of a good BBQ comingling with the scent of pine from the fireplace. Shovel a path out there and keep the grill available. It truly is a treat and worth the little extra effort. And when you're done grilling, I'll be inside waiting for you:D :bounce:

11. pollyg

pollyg

Just a little thought: for vegetarians or people who don't like liquid smoke, you could try using spanish smoked paprika in BBQ sauce.
    It's gorgeous and tastes a little like smoked bacon.

12. greg

greg

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    A note for vegetarians: the last I heard, liquid smoke was made from resins obtained from the vents of smokehouses that had been smoking meat. Maybe true, maybe not. I suggest delving into the production method of this product before using it as a "vegetarian" product.

13. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    A long time ago, 25 years or more, I read the label on a bottle of liquid smoke: DISTILLED WOOD.

ALWAYS read the label even though it could be lying!

14. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    Dug into the back of my cabinet and pulled out:

Wright's Hickory LIQUID SMOKE: "A table flavoring, like salt & pepper. No additives. A natural product manufactured by condensing pure smoke from the burning of green hickory trees" Ingredients: Water, Natural Liquid Smoke

Sqeet Mesquite Smoke Wood Smoked Flavor: Ingredients: Water, natural mesquite smoke.

Both of these are so old, there are neither 800- numbers nor websites listed for more information! But they're still potent.

I think PollyG's suggestion is great. Also, adding chipotles to your sauce. I'm not a big fan of "flavorings" like liquid smoke, even if it IS "natural;" that's why mine are soooooooooo old. But some of us are not able to even grill, let alone barbecue/smoke, so we do what we can. :( And don't get me started on the lack of local 'cue joints! :cry: :cry:

15. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    A:
    Are you saying that shish kebob is no substitute for good ol' American BBQ?!?!? Folks, we Americans have developed a dish that even foreigners long for. Nothing beats American BBQ! It's the only dish that well accompanies Weber's bread.

16. chefboy2160

chefboy2160

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Liquid smoke is a seasoning . I love to use a small amount of this product when doing large parties at a BBQ . Moderation is the key to good flavor and success . Infusion of flavors is what being a chef is all about . This stuff is strong but I feel it has a place .
    Ive never had a complaint and more thats good BBQs so I can say . Remember to cook to tatse . Course this is just my opinion .
    Doug

17. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I agree with Doug. Like rosemary, liquid smoke must be used sparingly for it can overpower all the other flavors in the dish.

18. gsquared

gsquared

Harold McGee (The Curious Cook) mentions that liquid smoke "is a potent damager of DNA".............:confused:

19. daveb

daveb

As it stands, that's a rather meaningless statement. If it were carcinogenic or teratogenic (casuing birth defects) it wouldn't be on the market.

Remember that Coca Cola will also damage DNA, if you immerse the DNA in the Coca Cola.

20. gsquared

gsquared

Daveb, are ALL foodfstuff in the U.S.A. tested for carcinogins? I would otherwise be dubious to trust that "if it is being sold, it has to be safe"?