Lion Sabatier - how to tell if it is a knockoff

Joined Sep 21, 2020
I recently purchased a set of Lion Sabatier knives from mychefknives.co.uk. The knives appear (to a novice) to be excellent quality, the weight matches what other sites have listed for this same knife. My only cause for concern is how cheap the case was that they came in. I would think that for a set of knives costing hundreds of dollars the case wouldn't be so cheap. I don't really care about the case, just concerned the knives are knockoffs. I've attached a few images. What do you think?

Attachments

• IMG_8959.JPG
    IMG_8959.JPG
    211.9 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_8960.JPG
    IMG_8960.JPG
    302.1 KB · Views: 37
Joined Oct 5, 2019
How easy is it to put a really nice edge on it?

Modern French stainless should take a good edge about as easily as Victorinox or Wusthof, but will usually come with a substandard factory edge in accordance with French tradition.

A fake will most likely not be easy to get properly sharp.

Joined Nov 18, 2010
The nylon bag is how this retailer sends its sets. The bag doesn't come from the maker. The individual knives probably arrived in a blister pack, go figure...
UK prices are always a bit high compared to what is common in continental Europe. Make sure you didn't pay European VAT.
Knockoffs are common with very well-known brands, as Global. It isn't worth the investment with this recent line by a relatively small maker.
Nothing to be concerned about.

Joined Jul 15, 2020
Yeah, packaging doesn't say much about the quality of knives from small French makers. My very excellent K Sabatier carbon steel knives purchased directly online from the maker came in a non-description packing box wrapped in old newspaper and packing tape surrounded by packing peanuts. No branded box, knifeguard, or other packaging. To be expected from a small family business.

Top Bottom