linzer cookies

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by bakerbebe, Apr 28, 2002.

1. bakerbebe

bakerbebe

I am trying to find a recipe for what I thought was called linzer cookies -- not the kind with two cookies that you sandwich together with raspberry jam -- I'm looking for the kind that you shape into a triangle and fill the middle with jam (the dough almost resembles pastry). Anyways, if anyone knows what I am talking about and can point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.

2. bakerbebe

bakerbebe

I don't know what I was thinking when I said the dough resembled pastry -- this cookie resembled a very thick crumbly shortbread. The cookie I am thinking of wasn't a dainty little cookie like most linzer cookies -- it was large and thick and shaped into a triangle -- and then filled with jam (I don't think it had cinnamon added, either). Anyways, I guess I could just experiment with some linzer recipes, just wanted to see if any of you had a recipe that resembled this.

3. isa

isa

The only thing that comes close to what you describe is a hamantaschen with a jam filling.

Hamantaschen
    60 Cookies

1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
    1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
    2 teaspoons grated orange zest
    2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
    2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
    3 large eggs
    4 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
    4 teaspoons baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    jam

In the bowl of a heavy-duty mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together butter and sugar on medium speed until light in color and fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes. Add orange zest, orange juice, vanilla extract, and 2 eggs, one at a time, scraping down the sides of the bowl when necessary

Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. With the mixer on low speed, slowly add to butter mixture until just combined. Divide dough into thirds. Wrap tightly in plastic, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.

Heat oven to 350°. Remove one-third of the dough from the refrigerator at a time. On a liberally floured surface, roll dough to a 1/8-inch thickness. With a 3-inch fluted round cutter, cut out as many circles as possible, and place on a prepared baking pan. Chill until firm, about 30 minutes.

Remove chilled circles from refrigerator. Place each filling into a medium pastry bag fitted with a coupler. Pipe 2 teaspoons of jam into the center of each circle. Whisk together remaining egg with 1 teaspoon of water. Brush edges with egg wash. Fold in sides to form a triangle. Pinch dough to enclose the filling.

Bake the cookies in the center rack of the oven until golden, 12 to 15 minutes. Cool cookies on baking sheets for 5 minutes; then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.

4. bakerbebe

bakerbebe

Thank you Isa -- this sounds very close to what I am describing (I ate them at a bakery at couldn't remember the name). I'll try them out soon!!

5. mudbug

mudbug

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
  6. isa

isa

You're welcome Baker, glad I could help. If that's not the cookie you are looking for, let me know.

7. bakerbebe

bakerbebe

Yes, Isa and Cchiu -- now that I saw the picture in Cchiu's post -- that is the exact cookie I was talking about. I bought them from a Jewish bakery a long time ago -- just saw a picture of it in my latest Stonewall Kitchen catalog and have been obsessed with making them ever since! Thanks for your help!

8. mudbug

mudbug

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    Our pleasure! Let us know how they turn out.

;)