limoncello

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by panini, Aug 18, 2002.

1. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Wanting any and all information anyone has on lemoncello! Interested in manufacturing , marketing, and distributing this product. Interested in recipes, formulas, alternetives to simple syrup( glucose, invert, etc.)
    vodka? grain? everclear?
    TIA
    Panini

2. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Try this link:
    http://www.divinacucina.com/code/newsletter7.html
    The recipe is in the left margin of the page.

I recently met the woman whose site (and cooking school) this is. She is a CIA trained pastry chef who has lived in Florence for about 20 years. Interesting site, knowledgeable chef!

I had a dinner party last night with an Italian menu. We topped it off with an icy bottle of limoncello. Boy, is that stuff smooooooth!

3. pollyg

pollyg

Ok, I have to write my little bit b/c I have just come home from helping at a 'masterchef' dinner at a local trade school: we served Sussex Pond pudding with limoncello jelly for dessert. And I was talking to my chef friend about how he is making his own limoncello for his restaurant.
    He uses Absolute vodka and for one bottle, the peel (all zest, no pith)of about 5 lemons,and a little sugar syrup to taste. Store in the cupboard for about a month.

4. alexia

alexia

Does it really make a difference what brand of vodka you use when making an infusion? Vodka is used BECAUSE it's so neutral. (This is a question, not a snide remark about snobbery, etc.).

5. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    alexia,
    It makes a difference on anything you use if your looking for an exact flavor. If your referring to the Absolute, no the cost or popularity doesn't make a difference because each one adds or takes away from the rest of the ingredients. Actually we have a distiller and are planning on using a mid range vodka. The infussion part is where I need help. This type of product changes with age. I'm seeking help to capture a flavor and preserve it until consumption. I'm thinking I need to move away from the simple syrup to glucose or invert sugar for if the h2o separates from the sugar or the content is to high it will freeze.
    Sat. I tasted many differents versions. vodka, grain alcohol,everclear. 3 lemons-3days.. 6 lemons-40 days....
    etc.

6. slavegirl

slavegirl

Follow that Food on FoodTV did a show on lemons and talked to makers of lemoncello there.....

The recipe is on the foodtv site for a few weeks after the show is aired, then it disappears. I copied it down the last time it was online...i can post it soon, it's on my home computer not here.....

I'll put it in within the day. =)

7. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    I believe Mario Batali did a show about it too.

Hey, Pollyg, what is Sussex Pond pudding?

8. pollyg

pollyg

True, vodka is used b/c it's neutral. My friend said that he used Absolut because, out of all the vodkas he had on hand, it was the most neutral.

momoreg, Sussex pond pudding is a gorgeous and very old English dessert.
    Suet pastry in a pudding bowl, fill with creamed butter and sugar and a whole lemon that has been pricked all over to help release juice. Steam for about 8 hours. the lemon softens in the pudding, and the juice mixes with the butter and sugar to make a sauce that comes flowing out of the pudding when it is cut.

9. rachel

rachel

:confused: Do Italians use grappa or vodka for making limoncello? I always assued it was grappa but if you are all talking about vodka then I may be completely misguided!

10. athenaeus

athenaeus

Exp:
    At home cook
    I think that Italians use grappa.
    But I use Vodka, I follow the same recipe with Pollyg

I use Absolute not because it's neutral but because , according to my taste, it is of the best quality. If you are a serious drinker you can tell at once in a blinde test which is the Absolute.
    Another good one for limoncello if " Golden Ring" but it's very expensive since it's the best vodka on earth IMHO of course :)

Panini I hope to keep us updated on your project. I will prepare some tsikoudia ( a kind of grappa) this year and I would like to use some in limoncello.

11. pongi

pongi

:cool:
    Italians do not use either grappa or vodka for making limoncello, but pure ethyl alcohol. The same for most homemade liqueurs, like Cedrina or Nocino and so on.
    This is a recipe for Limoncello:

-15 big lemons
    -1500 ml best quality pure ethyl alcohol
    -4 cups sugar
    -5 cups water

Peel the lemons, of course taking only the yellow part. Put half alcohol in a big jug, add the lemon zest, cover the jug and keep aside in a dark, cool place for 40 days. You don't need to stir it.
    After 40 days, make a syrup with the sugar and water. Boil for 5' and cool it down. Add to the alcohol/lemon mix the syrup and the other half alcohol. Keep aside for other 40 days, then filter and bottle your Limoncello.

:)

Pongi

12. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    May I put in plug for Monkeymay's version made with mandarina? I just had to take my bottle out of the freezer (no room any more), and figured as long as I had it out, I'd finally taste it. Wow! Sweet, yes, but so very citrus-y. And the taste is insidiously NOT alcoholic!

13. -d-

-d-

14. athenaeus

athenaeus

Exp:
    At home cook
    The recipe in the site is almost identical to Pongi's

Are you a Star Chef seniora Pogauer???:cool:

15. daveb

daveb

I found the Starchef recipe a bit confusing. "Cut the peeled lemons into wedges and put them with the alcohol into a wide-necked bottle" seems to imply the exact opposite of what you actually do. That is you put the LEMON PEEL not the PEELED LEMONS into the bottle.

Or am I nuts?

16. pongi

pongi

I think they made a mistake and meant "lemon peel", not "peeled lemons", as they say below that you must "filter the lemon peel".

Although there's no doubt I'm a Star:cool: don't need to be a Star Chef since all the recipes for Limoncello look like each other. The ingredients' ratio and the time required can vary, but the procedure is always the same. :)

Pongi