Light and Airy Italian Cheesecake Recipe Help!

Joined Aug 15, 2016
Alright ladies and gents.  I need all of your minds rolled into this one.  I am currently on a grand quest for that ONE ULTIMATE TRADITIONAL CHEESECAKE.  The one with the light and airy that meets the traditional Italian.  Something airy, but has that density to slice apart from that fork gently cutting through it. We all know that graham cracker crust..  Using brown sugar instead of white sugar.  Or that limoncello with lemon curd folding into that ricotta and cream cheese.  ((Which currently if you have not guessed, this is the flavor profile I am working with at the moment.)) 

In specificality, I am wondering on that ratio. From Cream Cheese to Ricotta to Limoncello Lemon Curd. Ive been testing some ratio's out and so far I am coming up 2:1:1 in order.  However, when I do that, the Lemon curd always wants to preset and melt before the Ricotta when I am baking it.  

Is there anyone out there.  That knows any variation out there that might help this?  

For the toping I am using a Lemon brine star assembly and honey in the stars.  ((hard shelled))

Thank you for taking the time for reading this.  And anyone with any baking experience is appreciated it in this matter.

Sincerely,

The Cook Saigium

Joined Apr 3, 2008
I don't think it's a good idea to put lemon curd in your cheesecake mixture before you cook it.  Lemon curd is delicate stuff, it will surely split, melt, and scramble.  You can put it on your cheesecake after it is baked to give a beautiful tang, but I've never heard of it going into the baking mix.  Cheesecake is dead simple, keep it simple and any recipe you use will work.  Have fun with it!

Joined Aug 15, 2016
You are right, it is not a good idea. I just wanted something different and bold with that excentric lemony flavor.  I have tried a variation already with the Limoncello and found it absolutely delicious.  I just wanted to take it to that next step is all.  

Joined Dec 18, 2010
Why not put lemon zest into the cheesecake, a lemon curd and sour cream topping, and a limoncello sauce?

Last edited:
Joined Aug 15, 2016
I have tried the lemon zest recipe with lemon extract.  Rather good, but it didn't have that kick to it.  As far as the limoncello sauce, I have yet to try that in the variation.  Which the next recipe will have to include that, rather than the lemon curd.  Do yall know any mild but bold limoncello recipes?

Joined Dec 18, 2010
I'd focus the flavor punch on the topping and sauce. If the cheesecake is too punchy the cheese will get lost, and you'd have to take the word "traditional" out of your vocabulary.

One of my favorite non-traditional variations, btw, is to go tangy with the cheesecake by blending in goat cheese.

Last edited:

nicko

Founder of Cheftalk.com
Staff member
Sponsor
Joined Oct 5, 2001
What if you bound the lemon curd with something else to keep it together and then incorporate it?

Joined Aug 15, 2016
I was thinking of that.. And thinking of what BrianShaw was suggesting.  Mixing a limoncello sauce and sour cream.  Making a tart flavor profile.  Which if balanced correctly, would be advantageous. With that incorporation, I could probably make a honey and lemon balance to it with the lemon tart for the decorations and topping.  Which would leave the cheesecake simple and delicate.  However, with that idea in mind.  I would have to figure out a way to unify the cheesecake flavor profiling with the toppings and decoration. 

Joined Dec 18, 2010
Or... And I hate to be the one suggesting this... But...

Have you considered using a no-bake recipe for this?

Could go with your first plan, swirl the curd... And No chance of the curd breaking that way.

Last edited:
Joined Apr 3, 2008
You are looking for a very tart and punchy flavor.  But one thing I've learned is that balance is essential to bring out flavors.  For example, I really do like a very lemony cheesecake myself and I end up using lemon zest and then topping with lemon curd.  But the flavor feels a little flat because it's all lemon lemon lemon.  Add a drizzle of rich dark chocolate ganache, or a spoonful of balsamic syrup and suddenly the lemony flavor pops.  Because the lemon is so bright and going brighter and brighter doesn't seem to work, add an opposing yet complimentary note, see what I mean?

Joined Aug 15, 2016
Thats why I was thinking of the honey in the recipe.  I am still playing with the honey recipes on which one would contrast well with the lemon.  As far as the no bake recipe.   Thats not really my style.  But, i do see what you mean.  However, as cook's we should be able to do this without the out of the box style cooking..??

Last edited:
Joined Aug 15, 2016
I just thought of something, that I probably would be yelled at for.  What if you took the lemon curd and sour cream and put it against white pepper?  Granted the ratio would have to be worked out.  Or would it be too contrast for a cheesecake?

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
I'd lean toward contrasting the lemon against some rosemary sugar. How much rosemary sugar would be the question.

Last edited:
Joined Jan 4, 2011
Throw all your everything into a stand mixer and whip the bageebies out of it. Then ... throw in a tblspn of water with a bloomed pkt (or 2) of Knox gelatin. Blitz it again for 6 seconds. Throw it into the icebox ... let it set ... cut it ... serve it ... eat it. Enjoy.

everything: ricotta, limoncello, lemon curd, zest, whittles ever you got to put in ... my suggestion would be powdered sugar ... but it's up to you what your ingredients are.

Joined Aug 15, 2016
Im not sure about using extra added chemicals.  I wanted to keep the traditional option to it and stay away from the heavy chemical use.  With that in mind I am not sure if rosemary pairs well with lemon.  If you wanted to infuse the sugar with mexican vanilla bean that would probably be better than the Rosemary.  As far as the chemical no bake method.  heavy chemicals gets away from more flavor profiles with us super tasters.  I always hated getting into a dessert and then always tasting that harsh chemical.  I know this entire thing was about the traditional cheesecake with lemon.  Light on the ricotta and philly cream cheese.  I am currently reconsidering not doing the lemon curd inside the cheese.  Rather using it on top of a decoration with sour cream and using it as a filament?  The question is, if lemon honey would be a bit too much?

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
Rosemary and citrus go well together, very often in savory dishes but both can play to the sweet too. Rosemary and lemon was Napoleon's signature scent he had custom compounded. Sure, vanilla sugar is good too but it won't give you the contrast to make the citrus pop as we're taking about. You likely won't replace all the sugar with rosemary sugar.

Joined Dec 18, 2010

Im not sure about using extra added chemicals.  I wanted to keep the traditional option to it and stay away from the heavy chemical use.  With that in mind I am not sure if rosemary pairs well with lemon.  If you wanted to infuse the sugar with mexican vanilla bean that would probably be better than the Rosemary.  As far as the chemical no bake method.  heavy chemicals gets away from more flavor profiles with us super tasters.  I always hated getting into a dessert and then always tasting that harsh chemical.  I know this entire thing was about the traditional cheesecake with lemon.  Light on the ricotta and philly cream cheese.  I am currently reconsidering not doing the lemon curd inside the cheese.  Rather using it on top of a decoration with sour cream and using it as a filament?  The question is, if lemon honey would be a bit too much?
I doubt that many would consider gelatin to be a "chemical", let alone a "heavy or harsh chemical".

Last edited:
Joined Aug 15, 2016
Many wouldn't indeed.  But to me its always had a pungent flavor to it.  Its probably why I can not stand most gelatin snacks or puddings that are commercialized.

Joined Apr 3, 2008
Rosemary and lemons definitely go together.  And yes, using lemon honey is too much - for me it would be anyway but different strokes for different folks.  You've gotten really good advice on the thread, take some of it.

Top Bottom